• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (1 Viewer)

A White Stork has been seen again at Cami de Muntana by Carles. I have failed to see it every time so far but it does move around a lot, assuming it's the same one of course! Mike

Same white stork

A White Stork has been seen again at Cami de Muntana by Carles. I have failed to see it every time so far but it does move around a lot, assuming it's the same one of course! Mike

Yes Mike, it is the same one, very dirty, always up the windmills, same street.

Last edited:
Very high winds last night with a few trees blown over. Many fields still under water. What next?
A quick visit to some birding locations, some Barn Swallows have somehow made it through with two at the Salinas, Colonia Sant Jordi and one at nearby Salobrar de Campos. Also about a dozen Avocets at the latter site. Mike

Very high winds last night with a few trees blown over. Many fields still under water. What next?
A quick visit to some birding locations, some Barn Swallows have somehow made it through with two at the Salinas, Colonia Sant Jordi and one at nearby Salobrar de Campos. Also about a dozen Avocets at the latter site. Mike

Very windy up North

4 Avocets and 3 Pintails in S'Albufera

Mike how common is Orphean Warbler in Mallorca?

The drake Ferruginous Duck was still at Son Navata today. Unfortunately viewing is now impeded by the (rather unattractive) fence which has been newly built along the roadside surrounding the eastern pool. I sincerely hope that any plans to improve this site come to fruition in the near future, as it could do with some TLC!

Formentor

With the winds down and few cycles and cars, it was a good time to drive upto the end of Formentor.

Large numbers of shearwaters seen (most likely yelkouan - still under discussion) and 3 dolphins seen.

Mike what Shearwaters are likely at this time

Thanks

Mike Swiss

Hi Mike. Both Balearic and Scopoli's can be seen returning, I think both have been seen this year so far. I believe we went to a lecture by Miguel, he's the man. He told us about Yelkouan and the identification pitfalls and how variable Balearic can be. If you send him a message I'm sure he will respond. Formentor is a great place at this time of the year with very occasional sightings of both Puffin and Kittiwake. Good luck. Mike

Pep saw a nice ringtail Hen Harrier at Son Bosc today. Hopefully he will post the photo. There is often one, sometimes two, wintering in this area. A lot more rain this morning which didn't seem possible, also some more snow around Alaro, it's only a chilly five degrees but feels colder. Mike

Pep saw a nice ringtail Hen Harrier at Son Bosc today. Hopefully he will post the photo. There is often one, sometimes two, wintering in this area. Mike

Hello Mike
Thank you for your words, but the picture is very far away, anyway i love the brilliant white patch on the rump of this harriers. It is over the area of Son Bosc and Depuradora.

Attachments

• 107_ArpellaPalida.jpg
    107_ArpellaPalida.jpg
    935 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Trip to Lluc and Mortitx

12 Black Vultures, 3 Griffon Vultures, 2 Booted Eagles and Kestral seen.

Few people around..Good time for visits

Hi Mike. There is a great walk from Lluc but it is only open on Sundays. It starts behind the big cross and goes down a beautiful valley. Last year Pep and Carles saw Brambling and I think Redwing too. There are also Hawfinch there. If you fancy it one Sunday let me know. Mike

I have just seen a group of 24 Stone Curlew flying around our port. Quite what they are doing there, I have no idea.
Stone Curlew can be seen in quite large groups in winter, the most I have seen is 27 but I believe there have been larger groups at the Albufera reserve.
It's very cold today with northerly winds and heavy snow with many mountain roads closed again.
Despite this, a few Barn Swallows continue to put in an appearance with a handful around the south. House Martins next, any day now. Mike

Yes, beautiful birds Pep. How anyone can shoot them out of the sky, like they do in parts of the U.K., is beyond me. I just don't understand it. Mike

Visit to Boquer Valley and Es Blanquer.

Booted Eagles in Bocquer Valley but very quiet and windy

Corn Buntings singing in Es Blanquer. Still flooded in many areas.

I have just seen a group of 24 Stone Curlew flying around our port. Quite what they are doing there, I have no idea.
Stone Curlew can be seen in quite large groups in winter, the most I have seen is 27 but I believe there have been larger groups at the Albufera reserve.
Mike

I once had a group of at least 34 Stone Curlew in flight at s'Albufera, but it wasn't during the winter - either Spring or Autumn when I'm usually there.
A fantastic sight, especially as it was clearly only some of the group that was there.
Martin

Hi Mike. There is a great walk from Lluc but it is only open on Sundays. It starts behind the big cross and goes down a beautiful valley. Last year Pep and Carles saw Brambling and I think Redwing too. There are also Hawfinch there. If you fancy it one Sunday let me know. Mike

Im your man!

Still on for birding down south on Sunday or Monday?

Stone Curlew; trawling through my old notes, I recorded a flock of 50 Stone Curlew in scrubland south-east of the Salinas de Llevant 15 Nov. 1971, and a flock of 35+ at Sa Roca, s'Albufera 23 Sept. 2011.

Thanks James, impressive figures. I would love to have been here in the 70's. I see there was a record of Slender-billed Curlew in the 80's but I can't find out anything about it. I have always wondered how authentic the record is having read so much about the Druridge Bay bird. Thanks for posting. Mike

Very nice morning today at la Gola.
3 Hoopoe
Little Egret
Grey Heron
Greenshank
Kingfisher
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Black-headed Gull
Yellow-legged Gull
White wagtail
Sardinian Warbler
Blackcap
Black Redstart
Robins
Song Thrushes
Blackbird
Great Tit
Serin
House Sparrow
Starlings

Seen through the window of the Center ;)

Regards,
Cristina.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back