• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

going up a bit (1 Viewer)

jape

some of you know how pleased i am with my 8x25 langham binos as a first set.
i want to look ahead to spring/summer and hopefuĺy getting out to the nearby lake.
i will need bigger magnification
at present 8x25 is great for yard and nearby but at 50 yds they dont cut it for detail.
i assume bigger means from 8x to 16x to double range and image size?
i am not going to afford much, certainly not 1000 pounds plus.
i have seen Bushnell 16x50mm Powerview BK-7 Porro Prism Rubber Armored Binoculars 131650C for 40 quid.
just roughly, for fun and ID can you give me an idea of how good/bad they will be.
are they 1/2 as good, nearly as good as 200 quid binos? only a 10th as good etc.
just practically speaking at 100 m or so will i get a good full view for ID?
i cannot find bluesky at that size or reasonable price in UK

You will need a tripod or an image stabilised binocular, or at least rest the 16x binocular on top of a car, a wall or somebody's shoulder.

Perhaps the redhead down the road could help out if you don't shake too much :)

A good condition Soviet 20x60 might work.

You may be better off with a scope.

thank you. i will get tripod or use car if feasible. i dont walk well.
if i took the redhead with me i dont think i would be doing much watching!
hadnt thought of scope, will look at them too.

thank you. i will get tripod or use car if feasible. i dont walk well.
if i took the redhead with me i dont think i would be doing much watching!
hadnt thought of scope, will look at them too.

Jape:

To increase magnification without increasing aperture—except on very close targets—is to avoid what you are trying to obtain! :cat:

Bill

Jape:

To increase magnification without increasing aperture—except on very close targets—is to avoid what you are trying to obtain! :cat:

Bill

now i am going to have to find a book on binoculars to work out what that means in english! ;-)

Can you find the Bushnell Legend 10x25 where you are? I think that's one of the best value compacts I've found and I love compacts. $158 in the US.

If you want a good 12x I bought the Olympus 12x25 for about $55 and it's pretty darn good. I can hold it pretty steady considering how how much power in 12x and I'm 65. However you can't beat a 7-8x for a steady hand hold IMO.

Just remember the higher the power the less fov generally and 25mm will be much less bright at dawn and dusk than a 32 or 42 mm.

I'm very impressed with what Olympus does for under $100 with their compacts optically but they are not waterproof. I'm actually really happy with the 12x at $55 and optically they are close enough to my 10 Meopro that cost over $400

Last edited:
Good standard 10x binoculars that won't break the bank:

Olympus 10x50 DPS-1. £65 on Amazon
Olympus 10x42 EXPS-1. £149 on Amazon
Nikon Action EX 10x50CF. £165 on Amazon

Do not be tempted by higher powers, for that way lies the Dark Side (literally;)).
And if you see any offers of Zoom Binoculars, report it immediately to the BF Binocular Police, and we'll send a squad round immediately to put a stop to their nonsense.

Edit....there's a website on your side of the (little) pond called 'Preloved'. There are loads of used binoculars on there. Most are junk, but some are good.
Edit V 2.0....If you have a look at a site called Adverts.ie, there's a guy in Galway selling a pair of Nikon Action CF 10x50 for a hundred euro.

Last edited:
I've often wondered how good Olympus larger objective binos were. They don't always get top reviews but then the compacts don't always either and I think they are a deal.

thanks ahll. i have decided to wait until i am out and about again and can also try some. so if this tall older bloke with a broken nose and crewcut and a mad look about him asks for a quick peek, dont run.

Broken nose? Local redhead? Any connection?

Personally, i think when you start getting up to 16x, you really need to be thinking of tripod mounts or a scope. The field of view is going to be reduced (unless you have enormous objective lenses, which is what Bill meant i think), the shake in your hands (because of the weight) will be magnified and take you off the target (which, of course, is in the centre of a reduced field) and the exit pupil (and thus the light reaching your eyes) quite small.
So: shaky, narrow and dark. Rather like me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back