• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (8 Viewers)

Woopdedoop!

Finally, perhaps the most "common" bird missing from my UK list: my first ever Eurasian Woodcock, flushed from dunes at Blyth in Northumberland yesterday when out exploring with my kids!

Green Mango, Caribbean National Forest, Puerto Rico.

Capped a great week on that island, in which we saw 13 out of 17 of the island/regional endemics, and heard two of the remaining four.

Taiwan Whistling Thrush at Dasyueshan Forest Reserve capped a weekend in which I saw 5 more Taiwanese endemics. Only 4 to go (unless they make more splits)!

Great Grey Shrike at Cannock Chase on 17/01/14. I had searched in vain for three hours when another birding couple found it just as I was leaving. Got it at the second attempt (they were ont heir sixth attempt) so feel blessed with that! :)

90 odd lifers in Senegal over the past couple of weeks, the last of which was a Bridled Tern in Dakar.

I also finally broke 1000 species (bird 1000 was a good'un, Lappet-faced Vulture)

I know that we have birders of all ages and number of years participating in this
pastime we all enjoy.

But, I thought that it would be interesting to see when it was that you observed your last "life" bird. *A "life" bird is one which you now have seen, but have never seen it in the wild before.

What was it? When? and Where?

My last "life" bird was:

Sharp-tailed Grouse seen in Sax-Zim bog area of northern Minnesota, USA, January 30, 2005

Bald Eagle; holiday to US, a couple of weeks ago Jan 2014; Annapolis, Maryland, USA.

Couple of weeks ago, I got my 512th, a Buff-breasted Sandpiper at a local patch, A E Sea (not a sea under any view, but a large, almost dry pond) at Fermi Lab. He's not a rare bird here during spring and fall migration, just one I had never seen to ID before.

Jaeger near Chicago

I just moved from that area.

I have just recently moved across the country, so I have a life bird it seems every week. 'm still trying to identify the hummingbird in the back yard so I will say confirmed it would have to be the ruby crowned kinglet. We had them back home in Illinois but they are so small and so quick I was never able to get a positive ID.
Along with the golden crowned kinglet they seem to flock in to my back yard, several times a day, by the dozens.

Attachments

• DSC_0065.jpg
    DSC_0065.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 35
Kitchy - Hi, these birds "by the dozens", do you mean the Bushtit? (i.e. the bird in the photo). They do tend to flock like that - kinglets move in flocks too, but not usually that many...

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back