• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (1 Viewer)

24. Brambling male 1 female 1
25. Starling

Brambling have been super rare here this winter Brenda, I wonder where they all went ?
A nice mild (7°C) day tempted the first 42 House Sparrow to come up and visit us from its usual haunt at the nearby farm, this afternoon the welcome sound of a 'Chiswick Flyover', ten days earlier than the first returner last year:
43 White Wagtail

The first Black Kites have been seen down in Geneva so spring is officially sprung:t:

One dominant Fieldfare is hogging the apples.

All the best

Paul

Hers/his cousin must be in our garden. At January - before it came - I count 9 Blackbirds at the best morning. Now Blackbirds are just quickly becoming when the Fieldfare is gone. Fieldfare is really jelouse of hers/his apples.

#26. Mallard - a pair flyover
#27. White-tailed Eagle - Nice white-tailed adult glides over.

#27. White-tailed Eagle - Nice white-tailed adult glides over.

Nice, I bet the sky goes dark when one of those flies over! No W t Eagles here, but I've seen the local Golden Eagle couple displaying in the distance this past few days.
More snow overnight, but that hasn't deterred the year's first

44 Woodpigeon

display flying over quite a wide area this morning.

Bit of a first for me last weekend. Whilst I have Fieldfare on my garden list courtesy of flyovers and an occasional one with the mistle thrushes on the football pitches opposite the house, I looked out the kitchen window and there was one perched on the garden fence. Unfortunately didn't come down to the bird table or lawn but did sit there for quite some. No doubt the recent bad weather brought it there. Was hoping for a few other unusual/occasional species but no such luck.

Brambling have been super rare here this winter Brenda, I wonder where they all went ?
A nice mild (7°C) day tempted the first 42 House Sparrow to come up and visit us from its usual haunt at the nearby farm, this afternoon the welcome sound of a 'Chiswick Flyover', ten days earlier than the first returner last year:
43 White Wagtail

The first Black Kites have been seen down in Geneva so spring is officially sprung:t:

Yes same here, usually lots on migration with chaffinch buntings green finch etc but this winter had'nt seen any bramblings until monday . My favourite birds in garden this winter are the hawfinch , longtailed tits and goldfinch. Lovely bright mild pm and been in garden last hour after a wet morning. Last saturday was over 20c in garden so sat out there for several hours.

Just missed another good tick this morning - distant back-end glimpse of a white-winged gull. A good session - 32 species in two hours including obvious passage of a few gulls and flocks of Redwings and Fieldfares.

Steve

Two additions in the last week neither photographed:-
39 - Mute Swan - 7th March 2018 - first winter in flight - one should appear on the stretch of river at some point
40 - Green Woodpecker - 10th March 2018 - single heard this morning before I headed out.

Photographed list remains 31.

All the best

I thought that I was crazy spending time with manual focus this morning to get Buzzard onto my garden photo year list but the practice paid dividends a couple of hours later when manual focus was again needed:-

41 - Buzzard - at least two distantly spiralling over the farmland

Also Kestrel & Jackdaw onto the garden photo yearlist so now 34/41. (Missing Mute Swan, Cormorant, Common Gull, Green Woodpecker, Long-tailed Tit, Grey Wagtail & Chaffinch.)

But within twenty yards of starting my walk, the excitement was a patch tick - c220? Also 97th on the patch yearlist. Two Cranes heading north - just visible between the houses - but invisible from the garden. (Clearly Scandinavian birds returning. 3:))

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• B Buzzard 02.JPG
    B Buzzard 02.JPG
    307.4 KB · Views: 22
  • D Kestrel 01.JPG
    D Kestrel 01.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 20
  • D Jackdaw 01.JPG
    D Jackdaw 01.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 19
  • B Crane 01 (reduced).jpg
    B Crane 01 (reduced).jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 23
  • B Crane 02.jpg
    B Crane 02.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Late this afternoon, a single damp Long-tailed Tit took the garden photo yearlist to 35 (35/41).

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• E LTT 01.JPG
    E LTT 01.JPG
    456.5 KB · Views: 15
  • E LTT 02.JPG
    E LTT 02.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 17
Late this afternoon, a single damp Long-tailed Tit took the garden photo yearlist to 35 (35/41).

All the best

Paul

Damp is the word here too Paul, two days of virtually continuous rain and milder temperatures have combined to remove nearly all the snow around our place. The result is a huge increase in Chaffinches, at least 60 yesterday feeding in our now snow-free field, plus a good arrival of Song Thrushes, around six males singing in the vicinity yesterday evening. The three male Hawfinches that have spent the winter peacefully feeding around the garden have been joined by another five now, leading to a more highly-charged atmosphere under the feeders (see photo of this morning's punch-up!).

Attachments

• Disputes à la mangeoire.jpg
    Disputes à la mangeoire.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 34
I confess that I struggle to motivate myself for birding in the rain so roll on a dry interlude.

Have to admit I only went outside twice today, once to refill the feeders and then a massive walk of c100m to our letterbox and back!

Yep, that's me too. Damp, lots of deep sludgy snow and still a week or so before real chances of spring movements ...so a distinct lack of appeal to wander about at present.

Need to update this thread though - had a few since last venturing on here.

Enjoying my breakfast coffee with the kitchen door open on this damp and dreary morning I heard a familiar honking and got outside just in time to see the back end of another garden lifer

58 Egyptian Goose

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back