Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski NL 8x42 - First Impressions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 14:51   #26
RobMorane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold View Post
I think you’ve just highlighted the difference between a need and a want Rob. I need a car for my job. I want an Ariel Nomad. I have a Skoda.

Rich
Great analogy Rich!
I didn't know the Ariel Nomad (really .
But you will probably get more Miles from the Skoda
I will try to check the NL Pure at the Swaro Truck in 2 weeks (if they have it).
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 14:51   #27
[email protected]

It sound's like I better order the headrest. It will probably be helpful even on the NL 8x42. Thank's for the reviews. Very well done. I like the positive comment's on contrast because that is important to me. The NL has to be good to get Henry interested. it would take something special to pry those big 8x56 FL's out of his hand's!

Last edited by [email protected] : Thursday 9th July 2020 at 15:02.
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 14:57   #28
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan van daalen View Post
Compared to the SV, the same view through the NL makes the SV dull. ..... I've "seen the Light" now. Holy Poly, this view is a different ball game....
Wowsers !!

That is a bombshell Jan !

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 15:00   #29
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Wowsers !!

That is a bombshell Jan !

Chosun
Are you going to trade your Zenray in for an NL now?
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 15:12   #30
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaVista View Post
Canip and Jan: Thanks for the great first reports! Many of us are now very anxious to get our hands on the new NL!

Would you say that the field stop is clearly visible on the 10X and 12X? What about the Swaro claim that the edges seem to disappear?

Thank you again for your early hands on!

Stephanie
Hi Stephanie,

Can't answer your field stop question, but regarding the "disappearance" of the edges the answer is quite simple. Beyond the FOV the light goes out.
No magic about that.

Jan

Last edited by jan van daalen : Thursday 9th July 2020 at 15:18.
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 15:14   #31
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Are you going to trade your Zenray in for an NL now?
The Zen-Ray is a classic and an appreciating asset, so it won't be traded in, but another custom acquisition sounds tempting .....

No mention of 'green ham' by any of the viewers sounds promising

Looks like I may have to wangle something !

I'm not liking the look of that tiny dinky focuser, and I'd like it a faster ratio too. My views on the contrived hands forward position are also well known !

Perhaps if I can get a custom body made for something considerably less than 30 million !

....... I already have a spare kangaroo skin laying around that will make the perfect armour ! (If it's good enough for Marc Marquez - it's good enough for me ! )

I will probably leave a final decision until I see the results of the DVD case resolution, and Rocky Mountain Goat CA tests though ........

Chosun

Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 15:20   #32
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Question

Quote:
.... Would you say that the field stop is clearly visible on the 10X and 12X? What about the Swaro claim that the edges seem to disappear? ....
Quote:
Hi Stephanie,

Can't answer your field stop question, but regarding the "disappearance" of the edges the answer is quite simple. After the FOV the light goes out.
No magic about that.
Jan (or Canip, or Gijs, or anyone else who has actually viewed through the NL) -- this has been a big question in my mind since the announcement, specs, and marketing spiel surfaced.

Simply put:
Q) When looking straight ahead - are you aware of the field stops in your peripheral vision ? (and if so, what is the nature of that peripheral view ? No cheating by sneaky little eye movements now - just staring straight ahead at the centre of the field)

Chosun

Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 15:52   #33
temmie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold View Post
I think you’ve just highlighted the difference between a need and a want Rob. I need a car for my job. I want an Ariel Nomad. I have a Skoda.

Rich
I’ve ridden in an Ariel atom. It’s a rocket on wheels but I am more comfortable and would get less speeding fines in my Skoda :)

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 16:43   #34
Patudo

Canip, Gijs, Jan - thank you for your observations. It would appear the NL series are most impressive performers - which they will need to be, as their asking prices are correspondingly impressive.

Given that complaints about the price of alpha binoculars are commonplace here, it seems a pretty brave step to invest in the development and production of an "above-alpha" (in both performance and price) series, especially in the current economic climate. But I doubt anyone imagined the events of 2020 when the NL was being designed. I do hope there are enough buyers out there to justify that investment.

Very few of us will really need binoculars that good - I know I don't. But I am glad that there are examples of optical excellence out there that show what can be done in the field of hand-held optics.
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 16:53   #35
Gijs van Ginkel

Chosun Juan, post 32,
I do not recall seeing any fieldstop staring in the image delivered by the NL's I shortly investigated.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 17:16   #36
Canip

Quote:

Would you say that the field stop is clearly visible on the 10X and 12X? What about the Swaro claim that the edges seem to disappear?
The FOV is 7.6 and 6.5 degrees, respectively, so if you can‘t see the field stop, then you have to get your eyes closer to the eyelens. Swaro‘s claim that the edges „disappear“ is to be taken with a grain of marketing salt ....
Canip
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 17:26   #37
CMB

Thanks to everyone for the quick review.

15 minutes is not a lot of time to absorb the whole of what one is seeing and feeling with new optics. Thanks for providing some thoughts on items that stood out to you all.

The EL SV line (even with the 8.5x42's decrease in close focus) remains at the high end in terms of both optics and build quality. They remain a very good set of binoculars for birding and hunting. Their price reduction puts that high optical and build quality within reach of more people.

On this forum the focus is on birding, but I've been wondering if the NL was created with hunters in mind - increased contrast and FOV, 8x, 10x, 12x maginifaction options, redistributed weighting and a forehead rest to help with one handed use, diopter slide that sounds like it can be used with one hand, 18mm eye relief.

Lots and lots of speculation flying around, but the NL sounds like a good replacement and update/upgrade for the older SLC line. With the changes Swarovski has introduced they could just as easily go in the 50/56mm direction for the hunting market (which does pay top dollar for equipment).

Again, thanks for the quick reviews.

Chris

Last edited by CMB : Thursday 9th July 2020 at 19:03.
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 17:29   #38
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Jan (or Canip, or Gijs, or anyone else who has actually viewed through the NL) -- this has been a big question in my mind since the announcement, specs, and marketing spiel surfaced.

Simply put:
Q) When looking straight ahead - are you aware of the field stops in your peripheral vision ? (and if so, what is the nature of that peripheral view ? No cheating by sneaky little eye movements now - just staring straight ahead at the centre of the field)
Chosun
I can only talk about the 8x: Yes, you are aware of them (same as in other wide field binos such as the SF 8x42, for example).
Canip
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 17:33   #39
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMorane View Post
Thank You very much for your reports Canip, Gijs and Jan.

But do we really need Binos that good?
My short answer: No, we don‘t.
No more than we „need“ a Porsche to drive from A to B. They still get sold ...

Canip

Last edited by Canip : Thursday 9th July 2020 at 17:35.
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 17:37   #40
Canip

Thanks, Gijs and Jan, for letting us have your initial reviews of the NL.

„So far, so really good“, those who have had the NL in hand seem to say.

Hopefully more in-depth reviews will confirm these positive initial impressions.

And they come out in September - that‘s when wanted to have a look at the new SF ....

Canip

Last edited by Canip : Thursday 9th July 2020 at 17:40.
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 17:56   #41
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
Canip,

You said "the NL appears compact". How is this possible ? Did you mean in comparison to the
EL or in general ? Looks like the same size as the EL in your photo.
It's a relatively large bino. I've seen some photos online of the NL
in peoples hands and it looks quite big to me.
I agree, that’s why I wrote „appears“, it is in fact the same size as the EL, but due to the much narrower „waist“ it appears more compact if you don‘t put it side by side with other binos (although it is definitely compact compared to the SF).
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 20:16   #42
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

The mention of these being brighter than the EL SV seems odd to me; Swarovski only lists a 1% increase in transmission (likely not visible to the naked eye), so I wonder if it is more a comment on a change in color balance instead? The EL SV is very color neutral with negligible (to me) CA and limited distortion.

I'd be most interested in glare/flare/stray light comments as those are really the only consistent complaint (excluding Rolling Ball) I've seen/experienced regarding the SV.

Justin
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 20:39   #43
Gijs van Ginkel

Justin, post 43,
Brighter in my case does not mean more light. Brightness is a "psychological" entity consisting of:
-1- the amount of light entering your eyes (exit pupil+transmission)
-2- the overall color color balance of the transmitted light (the eye judges green or yellow brighter as purple for example). That means generally that a flat transmission curve over a broad spectral range is an important component for brightness. Something Swarovski but also other binocular producers have tried to accomplish and with great success.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 20:49   #44
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
Justin, post 43,
Brighter in my case does not mean more light. Brightness is a "psychological" entity consisting of:
-1- the amount of light entering your eyes (exit pupil+transmission)
-2- the overall color color balance of the transmitted light (the eye judges green or yellow brighter as purple for example). That means generally that a flat transmission curve over a broad spectral range is an important component for brightness. Something Swarovski but also other binocular producers have tried to accomplish and with great success.
Gijs van Ginkel
Yep, that basically affirms my assumption that it is more due to color balance perception. I know some people find the Nikon EDG dark when to my eyes it simply emphasises colors differently.

Justin
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 21:21   #45
Gijs van Ginkel

Justin, post 44,
I looked into our files and the test of a 10x42 EL-SV in 2011 did yield transmission values of 84-86%. So it can very well be that the 10x42 NL (reported transmission by Swarovski as being 91%) I used today is brighter due to higher light transmssion in combination with excellent color balance.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 21:43   #46
wllmspd

“Marketing salt...” good destruction! Given the development tome for this, Swaro didn’t chose to develop it under COVID, merely choose the time to start to recoup some of the investment. It sounds like they really have done a very good job, only a small amount of that magic salt!

Peter

PS even with 82degree field of view can you feel the field stop... more work for the Swaro development team...
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 22:07   #47
NDhunter

Quote:
Hi Canip,

Great write up
What to add?
I'll just write my experience on the 10 and 12x.

Taking the NL in my hand it feels extremely comfy like a pistol grip. Where the SV felt elegant, it now feels bulky compared to the NL. Carrying it in one hand is a unique "sensation", something no other bin has caused so far. The pistol grip is completely responsible for that. It is oval where the hand is positioned.
The rubber on the eye cups of the NL is 2 to 3 mm flatter, compared to those in the SV, making it for spectacle wearers possible to come closer to the eye lens. These are also possible to fit into the SV.
The head rest works! Period. No question about that. Personally I didn't use the eyecups anymore but just used the head rest. Much more comfy and steadier.
No worries about the 12x factor. It is steady as a rock with the head rest.

The balance is like the SF. Because of the extra weight it feels more steady and sturdier built (Sorry Zeiss, read carefully. I write "feels sturdier built") compared to the SF.
Being sensible for the Rolling Ball, I checked for it but it wasn't there for me anymore.
At the very edge the straight vertical lines bend slightly inwards. I could see no sign of CA but this morning we had Dutch weather (rain) so that was no surprise.

Compared to the SV, the same view through the NL makes the SV dull.
IMHO the NL is a serious step up in contrast. Black is deep black and looking at tree leaves it seems they pop up in my view. I always joked about the 3D sensation of the Noctivid but I've "seen the Light" now. Holy Poly, this view is a different ball game.

Gijs was here also and the close focus for me was 1.9 meters and for his 70+ age eyes it was 1.8 meters but he is a black belt Judo so that must explain it.

The turn a round of the focus knob is 1.6.

Do I have a negative point to make?
Yes one.
Carrying the bin, my fingertips touch a nasty edge/rim where the armoring is glued together. Something what even doesn't occur at the cheapest chin bin

I've been told by Swarovski that the investment for the realization of the NL was 30 million Euro's.

One off topic remark:
From ## 902748841 (this week) the ELSV's 10x42 are 3,3 meters.
As long there is stock the 8.5's are original.
Jan
Jan:
Impressive review, so you are saying the 8.5 SV is being discontinued ?

Jerry
Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 22:23   #48
elkcub
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wllmspd View Post
PS even with 82degree field of view can you feel the field stop... more work for the Swaro development team...
Shhhhh. Don't spoil the magical moment.

Ed

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 9th July 2020, 23:20   #49
Sancho
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:

I've been told by Swarovski that the investment for the realization of the NL was 30 million Euro's.

Jan
Seriously!!! Is the market for high-end binos anywhere near big enough for them to make any Return on that kind of Investment? Perhaps I need do the decent thing and buy a pair. As an act of charity, like.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th July 2020, 00:25   #50
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Jan:
Impressive review, so you are saying the 8.5 SV is being discontinued ?

Jerry
Jerry: it appears they are discontinuing the SV EL Field Pro series and moving forward with a cheaper, slightly redesigned EL Legend series with a reduced close focus.

Justin
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: