• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring or yellow-legged gull? (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

On the right (the other is a fuscus for a comparison)

North of Spain

Thanks!

Attachments

• PSX_20200105_182143.jpg
    PSX_20200105_182143.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 212
very hard if not impossible to tell from this pic. it's obviously a 3rd cycle (4cy) bird and some local 'lusitanius' YLG can look astonishing similar to herring gulls. i think it is a "lusie".

very hard if not impossible to tell from this pic. it's obviously a 3rd cycle (4cy) bird and some local 'lusitanius' YLG can look astonishing similar to herring gulls. i think it is a "lusie".

In the "field" it was paler than the YLGs around, also the legs.. my jizz was herring

Looks fine for a Herring gull to me with those fine immature marking to the greater coverts and pale brown head/neck streaking.

Gents, adult (or near-adult) Herring Gulls have pale eyes, no?

The legs suggest Herring Gull (if I am seeing "pinkish" legs) but everything else suggests California Gull to me... mainly the dark iris and black w/ red markings on yellow bill.

Could it be a hybrid... or other?

EDIT: 2nd pic to me suggests Herring Gull (adults) for the 2nd bird from left and also on far right (note the darker mantles and pale eyes).

Last edited:
Gents, adult (or near-adult) Herring Gulls have pale eyes, no?

The legs suggest Herring Gull (if I am seeing "pinkish" legs) but everything else suggests California Gull to me... mainly the dark iris and black w/ red markings on yellow bill.

Could it be a hybrid... or other?

EDIT: 2nd pic to me suggests Herring Gull (adults) for the 2nd bird from left and also on far right (note the darker mantles and pale eyes).

The four others are larus fuscus. And the gull in question is not a California gull: paler, etc etc (just impossible un Spain also)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back