• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Time Spent Between Thunderstorms in Louisiana (1 Viewer)

pattianne

Went out this morning headed to Lake Maurepas, just north of Lake Ponchatrain (northwest of New Orleans). It rained frequently during the day, so I was busy taking photos between the thunderstorms. I think tropical storm BILL should be credited for the swollen lakes and canals; plus, it's rained everyday for 5 days. The birds are plentiful and feeding from the high water everywhere you look: tri-colored herons, great egrets, snowy egrets, great blue and little blue herons, white ibis, black-crowned night herons, yellow-crowned night herons, red-winged blackbirds, belted king-fisher, prothonotary warblers, and one coot. I also got a photo of a roseate spoonbill today - all the others mentioned are common here, but the spoonbill was a true surprise for me today. I posted some photos in the gallery. Oh, I also posted one of an alligator we came across. We spotted 7 from the road today. The high water brings them out of their hiding spots and into our view. I really had a great day. Hope you did, too.

Attachments

• profile - great blue heron.jpg
    profile - great blue heron.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Some fantastic sounding names there - from someone who's never seen any of those, apart from a coot ( are your coot the same as ours ? - Fulica atra )

Hi Carlos,

Same genus, different species - Fulica americana. Looks similar, the main differences are (1) white under-tail a bit like a Moorhen, and (2) a small black band round the bill.

Michael

I've always heard how terrific birding is in the Delta, Pattianne, and you're confirming it. I'll have to go check out your galleries.

I'm pretty sure, though, that I'd hate the heat and humidity you get there -- it's bad enough here!

Thanks to you all for sharing my excitement. It really was a good day for the birds and for me. and.... the heat and humidity is pretty high, for sure, but you get used to it. Thanks again for posting.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back