• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Technical info wanted (1 Viewer)

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew a site that had technical info on different species of birds. By technical I mean number of primary or seconday wing feathers, number of tail feathers, etc. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!!

All "flying birds have 9-12 primariy feathers (most have 10).
Ratites have more (for display), other flightless birds have less.

Secondaries are highly variable (depending on the length of the forearm (radius & ulna) and ranges from 6-32

Hummingbirds have 6 or 7, most passerines have 9.
Cooper's hawk - 15
Red-tailed Hawk - 17.
Andean Condor - 25.
Wandering Albatross - 32 secondaries.

Most birds have 6 pairs (or 12 Rectrices) (every time I see a painting with 8 rects, I wonder what the artist used as a model).

Birds that have more than 12 Rects are usually birds that use their tails in display.

Peafowl - male-20, female-18, ptarmagan -16, Blue Grouse 16-22.

Data ref from "Fundamentals of Ornithology" by Van Tyne & Berger.

About 1-2% of Sharp-shinned Hawks have an extra Rect (13) (personal observation).

Almost forgot...
Some good Bird Bio info here:

http://www.birdwatching-bliss.com/bird-characteristics.html

Last edited:
Here is a weblink giving some more information on feathers .

While it doesn't address all species, it gives some good background information that should help. See the section 6.6.

I suspect Banders/ringers publications might be some of the best sources for this info.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back