• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yosemite National Park (1 Viewer)

Sir William

I'd rather be birding
Can anyone clue me in on some good birding spots in Yosemite? I'll only be there for two days so I want to cram in as much as possible in that time.

Thanks!

Can anyone clue me in on some good birding spots in Yosemite? I'll only be there for two days so I want to cram in as much as possible in that time.

Thanks!

I will also be there for a few days at the beginning of August, so I will be interested in any answers!
Thanks
Sue

I will also be there for a few days at the beginning of August, so I will be interested in any answers!
Thanks
Sue

Hi

Glacier Point Car park and vicinity for Blue Grouse (not sure which sp it is post- split!) - try early morning; very tame

Mcgurks Meadow - GG Owl at dusk though elusive, scan margins with a scope

Any extensive areas of recently dead (fire) trees - BB Woodie (and other woodies)

Drive over towards Mono Lake and vicinity for easy sage Grouse at Bodie ("Ghost Town") and Grey Flycatchers in Sage brush; Mono Lake has 1000s Wilson's & Grey Phals, Cali Gulls, easy Brewer's Sparrows & sage thrasher

Have a great trip
Alan

I've never found Yosemite birding terribly exciting, but I'd suggest stopping at a few spots along Tioga Road to look for higher altitude birds like Townsend's Solitaire and Clark's Nutcracker. Bridalveil Falls has been a famous nesting spot for Black Swift (look at dawn or late in the day), but I don't know if the colony there is still active.

Hi all,

I am likely to be birding in Yosemite early April; but we also want to get some mammals on the list; wonder if anybody can provide some hints as to the right areas to hit.

My thanks in advance/ Mike Collard/ UK

Early April is early. The valley will be your best bet for bears, deer, squirrels, coyotes, etc. Somewhere lower might be nice for mammals too.

Hi all,

I am likely to be birding in Yosemite early April; but we also want to get some mammals on the list; wonder if anybody can provide some hints as to the right areas to hit.

My thanks in advance/ Mike Collard/ UK

Have you got confirmed dates for when you're going to be there Dipper? And you sure you're not coming south at all?

I'm trying to take the missus over the Santa Cruz Island for the Scrub Jay....

BT

Hi all,

Thanks to all who responded; Sue's report is super reading. Apologies for the delay but I had been unable to get onto the forum; doh

Best/ Mike Collard

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back