• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Diego in late January (1 Viewer)

Astrokev

Hi All,

I may be out in San Diego for a few days in late January on business. Time will be very limited, but I would be grateful if someone could advise on any birding locations in or very near the city.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Kevin

Hi All,

I may be out in San Diego for a few days in late January on business. Time will be very limited, but I would be grateful if someone could advise on any birding locations in or very near the city.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Kevin

Kevin,

I'm new to the forum and just happened to visit the CA section since I live in San Diego and I saw your post. I'm probably too new at 'birding' to know what would be a good birding location but Los Penasquitos Canyon Rpesv would almost have to be a good spot. It is one of the most beautiful and largest natural preserves in SD and great for hiking, biking and horse back riding. From down town SD make your way to Interstate 15 North and a couple of exits north of Miramar Marine Corps Air Station (previously the old 'Top Gun' training site) get off on Mercy Rd and go left or West. In just a few minutes the road will end at Black Mountain Rd but go straight across and right into the parking lot (a dollar to park I think) and this is your starting point. A quarter mile of dusty trail leads to an enchanted forest -- be sure to take the small side trials. You'll likely bump into birds of different feather; jogging college girls in Spandex. Can cause whiplash so be careful!

Good Luck!
Rusty

Spent a couple of weeks there over the holidays.
One place you should check out is the Tijuana slough area. Theres a national wildlife area and is south of San Diego almost on the Mexican border.
If you go to Imperial beach drive to I think Seacoast drive and go south as far as you can and park on the road that parellels the beach. The marsh is south of you and if you walk along the beach south you will get to the mouth of the Tijuana river and theres always loads of birds roosting on the sandbanks along at the entrance. Also quite often lots of birds on the water there.
Check out
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SDBIRDS/

http://www.sandiegoaudubon.org/index.htm

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back