• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No retro Trinovids after all? (1 Viewer)

I'm already in my mid 60s....so I'm not holding my breath....but if they don't cash in on my generation they might as well scrap the idea all together....or include a hermetically sealed case so we can take them with us....

I'm already in my mid 60s....so I'm not holding my breath....but if they don't cash in on my generation they might as well scrap the idea all together....or include a hermetically sealed case so we can take them with us....

LOL, that's pretty funny!

I'm one of those guys, splash proof is plenty good for me in the dry western climate I live in. If it looks like rain, I'll "sacrifice" and bring my Ultravids instead. I can't wait for the new (retro) Trinovids.

I imagine they are too far along the Trinovid Uppendahl path, but it occurs to me, a mid sized 7x35 Ultravid BL would be pretty close in looks and size to the old Leitz 7x35. It would probably be waterproof with modern eyecups.

The retro Trinovids are still on the Leica website. Search Trinovid 7x35 and they pop up. The specs say splash proof and nitrogen filled. If they weren’t sealed up pretty good wouldn’t the nitrogen filled be pointless?

Hi Glenn
It sounds as though for normal use the retro-Trinnies can be considered rain-proof but 'water-proof' these days means immersion to a certain depth without ingress and it seems they would not pass this latter test.

Lee

Maybe this was a case of over promotion, but back in my college days, a local large Sporting Goods dealer, which is still a Leica dealer kept a 7x35 original, circa 1970 Leitz Trinovid on display in their fish tank on the counter. Not beside the tank, IN the tank. They had advanced the display to use the new Leica Trinovid when I was in there in the early 1990's. That display method is no longer in use. The store maintained that the internal seals were strong enough for this. Feel free to disagree, but it was what it was. Maybe the sales staff from Leitz oversold them, and I don't know if they had ever lost one. I was not in there much as the store was kind of high priced, but the half dozen times I was there the Trinovids were in the tank.

Last edited:
Maybe this was a case of over promotion, but back in my college days, a local large Sporting Goods dealer, which is still a Leica dealer kept a 7x35 original, circa 1970 Leitz Trinovid on display in their fish tank on the counter. Not beside the tank, IN the tank. They had advanced the display to use the new Leica Trinovid when I was in there in the early 1990's. That display method is no longer in use. The store maintained that the internal seals were strong enough for this. Feel free to disagree, but it was what it was. Maybe the sales staff from Leitz oversold them, and I don't know if they had ever lost one. I was not in there much as the store was kind of high priced, but the half dozen times I was there the Trinovids were in the tank.

That's VERY interesting... I'm slowly softening on the "splashproof" designation.

Now if they'd just make them! I want a 7x35... green would help :)

The latest news from Leica UK is that the retro-Trinovids have not been cancelled or forgotten but will be launched during 2019, and the range will include the 7x36.

Lee

Last edited:
The latest news from Leica UK is that the retro-Trinovids have not been cancelled or forgotten but will be launched during 2019, and the range will include the 7x36.

Lee

Thanks for the update. Imo Leica have missed the boat, there are so many brands and improving "mid range" optics out there.
Leica is not the no.1 sport optic is was, say 15-20 years ago due to Swarovski and Zeiss competition with superb design,high profile marketing and backed up with excellent service and customer care.
I witnessed this from working in the retail business of sports optics from 2003 to 2011. I fondly remember the coloured designer Trinovid range.....red, yellow and blue rubber armouring.
The concept of the retro Trinovid was a great idea, reliant on the success of the two previous same named models. Also, x7 magnification in alphas seems to be a thing of the past.
Surely an 8 x32 Noctivid is their priority to compliment the current range.
This latest delay (to my thinking) suggests other priorities within Leica.

Last edited:
...The concept of the retro Trinovid was a great idea, reliant on the success of the two previous same named models. Also, x7 magnification in alphas seems to be a thing of the past.
Surely an 8 x32 Noctivid is their priority to compliment the current range...

Yes, these comments make me think, what is Leica doing? If, by resurrecting the old Trinovid, they are somehow saving a lot of money and thereby making it feasible to produce the 7x35 and the others at a decent profit and competitively low selling price, it is a good idea. If these bins are costing a lot to resurrect, and they sell for as much as modern top-end or 2nd tier choices from Swarovski or Zeiss, it's a dumb idea. I've nothing against the retro Trinovids, and I'm sure they'd be very functional bins, but I doubt I'll be buying one and I'd rather see Leica put their energy into developing a new or significantly updated/improved bin. I'd be _very_ interested in a waterproof, close-focusing, flat (or nearly flat) field, wide angle, long eye relief 7x30 or 7x35 with really superb contrast. It could have rubber armor or pebble faux-leather, I don't care.

--AP

I checked to see when this thread started........nearly 20 months ago, and it was as a result of the original poster noticing the binocular had been removed from Leica's website as well as retail outlets. All we've had are a series of false starts and stalling. The latest update, kindly provided by Troubador who asked the question and circulated the response, is another example of this.
Yes, they have to develop, test etc. before going into production and shipping units out from their despatch hub, but why keep the end user guessing and hanging on?
Baffling.

I am sure these retro-bins are for collectors and folks with a wistful hint of nostalgia about them and there is nothing wrong with any of that. So I don't really think of these as playing a part in Leica's line-up of modern bins. Jaguar and Aston Martin have been reissuing car models that were peerless in their day but no longer and this is how these retro-Trinnies seem to me. But they are lovely objects and I wouldn't mock any Leica enthusiast for wanting one on their bino shelf.

Lee

I am sure these retro-bins are for collectors and folks with a wistful hint of nostalgia about them and there is nothing wrong with any of that. So I don't really think of these as playing a part in Leica's line-up of modern bins. Jaguar and Aston Martin have been reissuing car models that were peerless in their day but no longer and this is how these retro-Trinnies seem to me. But they are lovely objects and I wouldn't mock any Leica enthusiast for wanting one on their bino shelf.

Lee

I'm perfectly happy with my 8x42 Ultravids and Nikon SE's, but if the optics are halfway decent and the price is reasonable, say $1,500, I'd take a pair just on looks and handiness. My old Leitz 7x35 B's were the handiest bins I've ever owned or used, followed closely by the 8x32BN.

I checked to see when this thread started........nearly 20 months ago, and it was as a result of the original poster noticing the binocular had been removed from Leica's website as well as retail outlets. All we've had are a series of false starts and stalling. The latest update, kindly provided by Troubador who asked the question and circulated the response, is another example of this.
Yes, they have to develop, test etc. before going into production and shipping units out from their despatch hub, but why keep the end user guessing and hanging on?
Baffling.

Still listed on Leica's website http://en.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Leica-Birding/Binoculars/Leica-Trinovid2/Trinovid-Range

On the 3rd February 2018, you wrote Autumn 2019. Now you're coming up with the above, and without any support. Admit it, you don't have any more idea than I do.

That was a piece of information I was given in early December last year. By someone who works for Leica.

Whether they'll manage to get their apparent production problems sorted out is another matter.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back