• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uk Swansea (1 Viewer)

meakinsl

Hello,

Failry new to birdwatching and have started to take pair of binnoculars with
me on my daily walk round the park in Morriston, Swansea, Wales.

Today saw a bird haven't seen before and was after some help identifying
it as flicking through my bird book and rspb site not sure.

It was a smallish bird, about same size of a goldfinch. It was a greyish colour
but had a distinctive black crest. I instantly though it to be a black cap as
looks very similar in the book but no picture I have seen has the cap having a
crest to it. The eye looked to be a deep red, saw it for about 10 seconds and
it didn't come back. Wish I had noted some more details (legs etc) but at the
time was convinced it would turn out to be a black cap.

Apologies if not giving enough info and that have any other identification info,
any help appreciated.

Regards,

Lawrence

That is the closest thing I have seen to it, I would say the crest was a little more
pronounced that the one in the shot but the red eye looks correct. Can't see it
that in my bird book - is it quite a rare visitor ?

A Sardinian Warber is a pretty rare visitor yes. Was it one....I'd still stick to Blackcap but you never know ;)

Have often seen a "crest" impression on a blackcap, but never a red eye-ring. Given the law of averages though one would be very reluctant to say Sardinian or Dartford. I wonder if the light hits the eye at just the right angle, might you get a red-eye effect.

Perhaps, Meakinsl, you can remember if the hood is as extensive as Sardinian (you did say "cap" rather than "hood") and if the redness was the whole eye rather than an eyering.

Looking at that last picture of the blackcap think that would be it from my memory.

Whilst I would love it to have been the sardinian warbler it was more the eye that was
red than an eye ring that looking at at the warbler picture again the ring is quite
distinctive and would have remembered that.

I think the 'red eye' comment would explain it - it was a very bright sunny day in
Swansea yesterday (a rareity in itself !).

Many thanks for all your replies, a great forum that will be returning to. Will be out
and about at lunchtime with the binnoculars so will stop for a while where I saw the
bird yesterday, there is no chance of a red eye effect today as it is grey and misty.

Lawrence

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back