• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaysia Trip 11th-25th April 2015 (1 Viewer)

simmojunior

I am off to Malaysia for two weeks in two weeks time in my first trip to Asia. I am spending 1 night at Kuala Selangor, 5 nights at Fraser's Hill, 6 nights at Taman Negara and 1 at Kuala Lumpur airport at the end.

I do not plan to use guides due to budgets although may look for local guides at Taman Negara if I've not found certain species my self. I have had plenty of help, advice and gen but I'm not sure you can ever have too much so does anyone have any tips or gen on specific species? I'm particularly interested if anyone has been to Taman Negara since the floods and if they know any owl/frogmouth, pitta or any other stakeouts? Same at Fraser's Hill, where some up to date information on Malaysian Whistling Thrush and Himalayan Cutia (I understand they are now difficult) would be fantastic?

Two other questions, fellow BF member Steve Keen (thanks for all your help?) has suggested trying to get to Pantai Remis for waders at high tide on route to Kuala Selangor? How feasible will it be to ask a taxi driver to do this, how much is it likely to cost and how do I explain the site to avoid ending up at Pantai Remis in the north?

I have a final day where I plan to leave Taman Negara in the morning and end up at an airport hotel in the evening. Any suggestions for what I should do with this day? I think I'll get in to Kuala Lumpur centre at around 1pm.

Also, is anyone else in Malaysia at any of the sites when I'm there and fancy teaming up for a day/morning/night birding session?

I plan for this thread to turn in to a place where I can post a rolling trip report once the trip gets going, subject to internet access in the evenings.

Cheers,

Oli

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back