• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Collins Bird Guide? (1 Viewer)

GiG

United Nations
I'm thinking of getting the Collins Bird Guide, but am unsure which edition to get.

There is the 2001 paperback edition or the more recent 2004 hardback edition.

Has the 2004 ed been updated and is it worth getting that one over the 2001 ed?

Any help would be grateful.

Gi

Thanks for the advice, it would be nice to have both formats but I'll probably go for the paperback if it's handier in the field. It's just under £12 on Amazon at the moment, and with a birthday coming up will make a handy present.

Gi

gi2012 said:
Thanks for the advice, it would be nice to have both formats but I'll probably go for the paperback if it's handier in the field. It's just under £12 on Amazon at the moment, and with a birthday coming up will make a handy present.

Gi

You might want to check out www.uk.bol.com

its 4.99 there at the moment for the paperback version

I bought the hardback at Christmas - it really is a lovely book but theres no way Im gonna carry it round in my rucksack its really heavy! - I keep an old second hand and thumbed copy of Hamlyn's for fieldwork but more often than not just use a pencil and notepad as this improves my powers of observation and memory by necessity!

(actually Ive just realised that one of the most exiting parts of birding for me is coming home, cold, tired and hungry but looking forward to sitting down with Collins (the book!) over a nice hot cup of tea and going over the days notes :t: )

Last edited:
Nip into a decent stationary shop with your guide and ask em to get you a plastic cover to fit, otherwise the paperback edition is very prone to damage. The cover gives a neat protective finish. Should last a good few years longer and will cost about 35p.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back