• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inside dust already! (1 Viewer)

Conorbirda2

Just bought a 170=500 sigma lense and its already got some 'bits' i cant get at on the lenses inside the body of the lense. How do i get rid of them?

Short answer is "you don't", I'm afraid.

If they show up on pictures (or if it really bothers you on principle) return the lens - but otherwise it's something to live with. It isn't something you can deal with yourself, at any rate.

Keith Reeder said:
Short answer is "you don't", I'm afraid.

If they show up on pictures (or if it really bothers you on principle) return the lens - but otherwise it's something to live with. It isn't something you can deal with yourself, at any rate.

Cheers, the little pesky speck is showing up on photos. May have to send the lense back!

Conorbirda2 said:
Cheers, the little pesky speck is showing up on photos. May have to send the lense back!

It might be worth checking that its not a spot on the sensor rather than the lens.
I also have the 170-500 sigma and it has dust inside the front element. If i ever see specks on my pix i just clean the sensor and they disappear. I think there has to be a pretty hefty amount of dust inside the lens for it to show up.

Joe

Aye,

I think you make a good point, Joe - there is visible dust on the inner surface of the front element of my old Sigma 135-400mm too, but it has never shown up on a picture.

Conorbirda2 said:

I have got some fungus in my 170-500, just phoned Sigma to see what could be done. It will cost £74.00 for a clean, providing they don't find anything else, like the lens being marked. I would put up with the speck and use photoshop, for a while at least.

Trev

tf1044x said:
I have got some fungus in my 170-500, just phoned Sigma to see what could be done. It will cost £74.00 for a clean, providing they don't find anything else, like the lens being marked. I would put up with the speck and use photoshop, for a while at least.

Trev

If you've got fungus in your lens I think it would be worth paying the money and getting it cleaned, it will only get worse... it's also possible that it could spread from this one into other lenses you may have.

Last edited:
TF,

If you have any fungi attaching to the glass then it will degrade your glass, the stuff eats away the lens coatings. I would get the lens looked at just to assess where the organisms got in.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back