• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying new binoculars (1 Viewer)

birdfaces

Hi to everyone in this forum! I could need some input regarding my next binocular purchase. I have been using my Skytech 9x60 porro prism binoculars for basically everything from stargazing to hiking for the last years, but I am finally saving up some money for a smaller roof prism type, 8x32-42 size. They will mostly be used during daytime, but I also love the occasional nighttime session. My original budget was around 250 dollars so I have already looked at the Diamondback 8x32 and 8x42. But in another store they offered me the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 used for 400 dollars which had me reconsider my budget. I am a complete novice when it comes to optics, but do you think the Zeiss would be an upgrade I will come to appreciate in the future? I would also appreciate other recommendations in the 250-400 dollar category. FOV and light weight are important :) Apologies in advance since my questions are probably answered in a thousand other threads 3:)

In a word, Yes, especially if they are the HD version. Examine them thoroughly and see if there is any remaining warranty. Saves you loads of time pondering and looking through the many posts here.

Last edited:
Hi,

The conquest 8x32 is optically on par with the victory 8x32!
Only the case (diopter compensation, eye muscles and rubber coating) is slightly below the victory.
The focuser is translated faster ... a matter of taste.
If the glass is in order, do not hesitate.

Andreas

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

A used Conquest HD 8x32 for $400 is a very good deal if it is in working condition - recommended to get that over a new lower midrange pair.

Joachim

Consider buying a used pair locally - i.e. not on eBay. You can get binoculars that sold new for $500 at half that price. Binos do not wear out and most are not abused if used for birding.

Might even check with your local birding clubs as their members may have a pair that they no longer use and be happy to get it into the hands of someone who will make use of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back