• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bucket List (1 Viewer)

Andy Wraithmell

aka Limeybirder
What's your bucket list (i.e. birds you MUST attempt to see before dying). I have a top 20 list, one of which (Wandering Albatross) I have already seen on a South African pelagic. Here's the other 19 in no particular order.

Harpy Eagle

The world's most awesome raptor, who wouldn't want to see one? Better wait till my 3 year old gets bigger because she is perfect prey size right now!

Andean Cock-of-the-rock

A combination of my two favorite colors (red and black) plus it's a great name.

Resplendent Quetzal

In my opinion the World's most beautiful bird.

Diademed Sandpiper-plover

It's a sandpiper and a plover! It's beautiful and it lives at high altitude.

Snow Petrel

Unique! Gotta see one.

Shoebill

Grotesquely beautiful and one of a kind.

Egyptian Plover

The world's most beautiful shorebird. Stunning!

Gurney's Pitta

It's mega rare and it's gorgeous!

Spoon-billed Sandpiper

Out of all the birds in the world, this is probably the one I want to see the most. An evolutionary marvel.

Wrybill

An evolutionary freak, want to watch one feed, for hours.

Steller's Sea Eagle

An adult perched in a snow covered tree please. Beautiful.

Superb Lyrebird
Better mimicry than that guy off Police Academy movie. David Attenborough is a lucky bastard.

Bee Hummingbird

Who wouldn't want to see the world's smallest bird. It's in Cuba too....the forbidden zone!

Western Tragopan

Tragopans are just incredible, this is probably going to be the hardest species for me to see.

Temminck's Tragopan

Not as rare as its relative, but stunningly gorgeous.

Splendid Fairywren

The Aussies are crap at Cricket these days but they have some beautiful birds. I love the word Splendid.

Long-tailed Ground Roller

Ray Turley's model of this bird inspired me. Gorgeous.

Marvelous Spatuletail

I love the word Marvelous and it's an incredible bird.

Spectacled Eider

The World's most beautiful duck. Alaska here I come!

Nice Idea monsieur.

I'll have to give it some ponder time and come back with a definitive list, but Kakapo'll be on it, as will either Picathartes, and Strange-tailed Tyrant. If you're also including what would have been on there prior to seeing them (as in your Albatross) then Hoatzin and Ibisbill make the twenty. I've just seen two off your list; Cock-of-the-Rock and Resplendant Quetzal. I'll be back when I've had time to deliberate.

James

many of mine have been mentioned and i've been lucky enough to see one of them Gurney's Pitta.

I'd also add Hyacinth Macaw, Colourful Puffleg, Ribbon-tailed Astrapia and Palawan Peacock-pheasant

Tough one, I find as I check some of the off I just add more to the list... and having not yet birded the Old World it's hard to prioritize those.

Some seen-alreadys:

Great Gray Owl
Jocotoco Antpitta
Sword-billed Hummingbird
Hyacinth Macaw

Wish List:

Marvelous Spatuletail
Harpy Eagle
Splendid Fairy-Wren
Satin Bowerbird
any Sunbird
Wallcreeper
any Bird-of-Paradise
Emperor or King Penguin
any Pitta
Brown Kiwi

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back