• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a young Alpine Swift? (1 Viewer)

The photograph is from yesterday, North West England. Three of them on this overhead electrical wire, seemingly being fed by an adult. The bird would fly towards them, and all three would simultaneously flap their wings quickly as the bird approached. I read Alpine Swifts are vagrents to Britain. It looks like they are breeding here. Is that quite rare? (If this is an Alpine Swift).

DSC_0236-01-01-02.jpg

That's it. Quite late on to be still feeding youngsters - the last swallows left here last week.

I think it was youngster feeding, I'm not an expert as you can likely tell :) .. I got one picture of what looked like feeding, but it wasn't through the monocular I was using, so it's in the distance. I got one video, but not the best, just at the edge as I was moving. I went the next day, but they weren't there. Maybe that was the last day

That's it. Quite late on to be still feeding youngsters - the last swallows left here last week.

Yup it was feeding. Screen captures from the video I took from 24th September. Is it quite usually for them to be fed as they sit on wires like this? The youngsters aren't very good at catching insects at this age, but will just about to go on a long migration? I suppose the youngsters would waste energy trying to catch the insects, and they need fattening up for the journey?

Screenshot_20200928-153813-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20200928-153852-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20200928-153842-01.jpeg

Yes, recently fledged hirindines and other species that develop in a nest whilst they grow feathers and develop their flight muscles, continue to be fed by the parents till they are able to fend for themselves - eg, Robins, Tit species, Thrushes etc unlike waders and plovers which can run around and search out food hours after hatching.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back