• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slovenia/ Croatia (1 Viewer)

sav

Some non-birding friends and I are off on a hiking trip in Slovenia, followed by a brief spell on the Croatian Coast. It is most likely to be late July/ early August, probably a quiet time bird-wise. At the moment the itinerary is fairly unplanned so any suggestions for good birding sites in the region would be very welcome. This is a new country for me so there is potential for a few new birds and other wildlife. Please help!

Hi sav,

I really hope you enjoy Slovenia, it's a fantastic place! Croatia looks to be brilliant as well, but as I have never ventured there (yet) I cannot comment.

As for birds, I can appreciate how difficult it is to find anything out about birds in Slovenia, as I am trying to do the same thing for another trip there myself in late August.

We have a couple (at least) of resident Slovenes on BF, so hopefully they will be able to give a few pointers.

There is a report by John Cantelo about birding around Bled from about 5 or so years ago, which might be of use. Although John is a BFer, this report is actually elsewhere. I don't exactly recall which site, but if you Google some combination of John's name and the location, it wil probaly be top of the list.

As it happens, I looked at the very site today (bad memory you see!) and a new report has been added for NW Slovenia also, but I haven't read that yet.

Other than that, I have put a trip report on BF myself last year, which I will find and link to in the post following this.

:t:

Last edited:
Hi sav and birdman-

We will be in the Julian Alps all next week for some mountain air, scenery and wildlife, mostly concentrating on places above tree-line (and given that it is still May, below snow-line) within striking distance from our base in Bovec. Our itinerary includes Mt. Krn (SLO), Mt. Matajur (IT), the Altipiano di Montasio (IT), and the Mangrt Road (SLO). I'll do my best to write a trip report after we return.

If either of you want an off-the-beaten-path hiking option (for foreign travelers, at any rate), I would suggest the Kamnik-Savinja Alps NNE of Ljubljana. Much of this region is designated as an Important Bird Area. If you can do a hut-to-hut hike here (instead of day-hikes) then that's all the better, as getting to tree-line and above in this area usually requires a long, steep slog, and the hut-to-hut option makes it so you have to do this slog only once.

A suggested hut-to-hut itinerary:

Day 1 (Arrival): Drive through Kamnik and follow the stream called Kamniska Bistrica. Approximately 4 km before the end of the road is the Velika Planina cableway, which you might take for an easy lift to explore some pastureland at 1400 m to 1600 m. After returning to the valley, drive to the end of the road where there is accommodation in the Dom v Kamniski Bistrici (600 m).

Day 2 (Long Slog to Korosica): Leaving the vehicle at the Dom v Kamniski Bistrici, walk south along the valley road for maybe 1.5 km, where there is a trailhead on your left for the valley called Dolina Kamniske Bele. Follow the signs for the Kocbekov Dom na Korosici (or Korosica Koca - see picture), where there is accommodation and, interestingly, a high-altitude football pitch.

Day 3 (Korosica to Kamnisko Sedlo): Starting at 1808 m, follow the main trail west over Srebrno Sedlo (2115 m) and continue along to the Kamnisko Sedlo and accommodation in the Kamniska Koca (1864 m).

Day 4 - Option 1 (Kamnisko Sedlo to the starting point at Dom Kamniski Bistrici): This can be the last day of the tour, as there is a trail leading south from Kamniska Koca to the starting point at Dom v Kamniski Bistrici.

Day 4 - Option 2 (Kamnisko Sedlo to Kokrsko Sedlo): If you have the time and inclination (portions of this trail are quite difficult), follow the trail west for Turska Gora (2251 m) and Skuta. Before Skuta there is a trail that forks left to the Kokrsko Sedlo (1793 m), where there is accommodation in the Cojzova Koca na Kokrskem Sedlu.

Day 5 (Cojzova Koca to Dom Kamniski Bistrici): Follow the steep trail back down to the starting point at Dom Kamniski Bistrici.

There is great potential on the above tour for all of the high-altitude avian specialties, and you might see ibex and chamois and marmots as well.

As for your "brief spell" in Croatia, sav, I would suggest staying in Starigrad Paklenica, from where you can visit the Paklenica National Park and the nearby island of Pag, both noteworthy birding places.

Enjoy your travels, wherever you decide to go.

-Adam

Attachments

• Korosica 1.jpg
    Korosica 1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
sav said:
Some non-birding friends and I are off on a hiking trip in Slovenia, followed by a brief spell on the Croatian Coast. It is most likely to be late July/ early August, probably a quiet time bird-wise. At the moment the itinerary is fairly unplanned so any suggestions for good birding sites in the region would be very welcome. This is a new country for me so there is potential for a few new birds and other wildlife. Please help!

A few years ago I visited the beautiful of island Cres in Croatia which is fairly undeveloped in the tourist sense. I was there to help monitor breeding griffon vultures that nest near the village of Beli. A good place for both walking and birding I think. At Beli is the Eco-center Caput Insulae Beli where there is a display about the area and people who would be able to give advice on good walks and what is about. I travelled to Cres by bus from Rijeka which includes the ferry crossing. You would have to ask the driver to drop you off at the nearest point to Beli and then walk (a couple of miles at least.) If you are interested I will try and find links & email address for the Eco-center.

Keith

Cres is a good choice (I spend my holidays there). Sylvia warblers are ample (but they won't be as obvious 'cos they stop singing in June/July), Griffon vultures of course (the island's symbol), ST eagles, Eagle owls, Peregrines, Hobbies, Alpine swifts, Hoopoes, Woodchat shrikes, Tawny pipits and the list goes on and on ... Just choose a habitat and make a walk in it (for example maquis, rocky terrain etc). I visited the Eco Center myself but it somehow looked rather depleted and the staff couldn't help me much. Maybe it was just bad timing, so it's worth a try. I think the path to Beli is cca. 5 kms long. It may prove to be an ordeal in the summer heat but I believe there is some shade along the path itself. Make sure you always have enough water with you. As you reach Beli there is a steep path upwards on your left, follow it and you''l reach the centre.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Really useful! I'm now in the process of working out the optimum route and will let you all know how the trip goes later in the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back