• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Couple of dragonflies - Chachuna, Georgia - 10.05.18 (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

These looked like Red-veined Darter and Black-tailed Skimmer to me. Is that likely?

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Darter.jpg
    Darter.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Skimmer.jpg
    Skimmer.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 34
I can't see any pale panels on the side of the thorax of the skimmer and it had dark appendages at the end of the abdomen so it looks like a Black-tailed Skimmer to me.

I can't see any pale panels on the side of the thorax of the skimmer and it had dark appendages at the end of the abdomen so it looks like a Black-tailed Skimmer to me.

Would they be so obvious on a male Paul and viewing through the wing?

The impression from this view also is that the sides are whiter, yellower on BtS?

It also exhibits the 'pruinescence' associated with WtS?

A

Last edited:
Many thanks both. I now know Howard satisfied himself that this was a Black-tailed Skimmer having studied the options previously.

All the best

Would they be so obvious on a male Paul and viewing through the wing?

The impression from this view also is that the sides are whiter, yellower on BtS?

It also exhibits the 'pruinescence' associated with WtS?

A

Well it might be a White-tailed Skimmer but I would want white appendages and the pale side panels for it to go down as one in my notebook. It could be that the detail on the thorax is lost in the shadows - I couldn't get anything out using Lightroom.

http://www.dragonflypix.com/photos/orthetrum_albistylum_15.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back