• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adaptor for Canon A95 (1 Viewer)

lainapop

I'm sure this info is already here somewhere, but...

I need an adaptor for my Canon A95 and a Nikon ED Fieldscope.
(I use the 30W lens.)

I'm hoping to find a tube style adaptor as I have no desire to clutter up my scope with clamps and levers. I'm basically a hand-holding digiscoper and just need help holding the camera in place -- and maybe cutting down on shake a little.

Thanks from Japan

lainapop said:
and maybe cutting down on shake a little.

Thanks from Japan

I almost forgot. Using the 2 second selftimer or the continous mode will cut down on shake too.

Cheers Peter

Thanks Peter!

Wow.
Thanks so much Peter! That's a treasure trove of info and I'll be reading and re-reading many times in the next few days.

Question:
Does the aluminum adapter from Photosolve position the camera right AS IS, or did you DIY (I'm really impressed with your setup) the adaptor too?

Will

lainapop said:
Wow.
Thanks so much Peter! That's a treasure trove of info and I'll be reading and re-reading many times in the next few days.

Question:
Does the aluminum adapter from Photosolve position the camera right AS IS, or did you DIY (I'm really impressed with your setup) the adaptor too?

Will

Will

The photosolve adapters is positioned just right because the outer diameter of it is exactly the same as the outer diameter of my 30DS eyepiece. It could not get any better.

So if you want to make your own "tube-type" adapter I suppose it can be done in the following way.

Get the photosolve adapter (or any other as long as the outer diameter is OK), a piece of approx. 5 cm long (pvc) tube with the inner diameter of exactly the same size as outer diameter of the adapter/eyepiece (I thought it was 55mm). Attach the tube to the photosolve adapter (a bit like this..http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/94683 )
and you are ready. If you see something nice through the scope you just slide the camera-adapter-tube combination over the eyepiece and you are ready to take pictures (I guess).

You might have some difficulty finding a tube of exactly the right diameter though but you never know what you can find.
This all should work with the 30DS eyepiece but if you use more then 1 e.p. the 2nd option may just be better

The 2nd option you have is to just get the adapter, stepup ring and all the Nikon adapter parts you need for all the eyepiece you want to use.

The third option is to make a swing-away type adapter like I did but that takes a lot more time (but you get your reward when you're finnished). Since I do not have a zoom eyepiece yet I don't know if my swing-away adapter will work for this eyepiece. I have my doubts.

Cheers Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back