• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Djibouti - 26 May 2018 (1 Viewer)

jmtully

United States
Saw this bird at the Djibouti European Cemetery on 26 May. Two photos attached are the best I have.

In person, it seemed blacker than it looks in the pictures. When I first arrived, it flew right at me and landed on the ground spreading its wings, almost like it was trying to protect a nest site.

At one point as it flew off, it looked like there were two white stripes going the length of the tail, but I couldn't get a picture while in flight.

About sparrow-sized.

Thanks,
JMT

Attachments

• Unknown 1 Dj Euro cemetery.jpg
    Unknown 1 Dj Euro cemetery.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Unknown 2 Dj Euro cemetery.jpg
    Unknown 2 Dj Euro cemetery.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 75
Black Scrub-Robin? Is possible in Djibouti, does the wing-thing and has white along tail edges.
Arend says hello

I've seen a scrub robin here recently, but this one seemed smaller. But I can't come up with a better ID.Thanks for the help.

Black Scrub-Robin? Is possible in Djibouti, does the wing-thing and has white along tail edges.

Looking at the photo of the bird from the back, that looks like a good call.

However.

I tried to blow up the other photo of the bird - the one from the front - to extract more detail, and the result is attached. Obviously the photo is not high-resolution, but the bird appears to have a yellow bill and a black-flecked white chest. Also, the undertail/vent doesn't seem to show the barring pattern that this bird should show.

Of course, these may be artefacts, but I think an all-black bird (except for a bit of undertail) should look black from whatever angle and however poor the resolution, and I don't see how an artefact could make the bill seem yellow.

On the other hand, there's nothing with a yellow bill or flecked chest that I can find which fits better than your suggestion.

Attachments

• Djibouti.jpg
    Djibouti.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Djibouti1.jpg
    Djibouti1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Djibouti2.jpg
    Djibouti2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 4
What if it's just a Blackstart? The pictures aren't the best and the colours may appear darker in such bright light. What I see is a square cut tail which seems to be the darkest part of the bird. The tail of BSR would be more rounded. Also there seems to be a lighter vent - which is the lightest part in a Blacktail. To me also leg length and posture fit Blacktail quite alright.

What if it's just a Blackstart? The pictures aren't the best and the colours may appear darker in such bright light. What I see is a square cut tail which seems to be the darkest part of the bird. The tail of BSR would be more rounded. Also there seems to be a lighter vent - which is the lightest part in a Blacktail. To me also leg length and posture fit Blacktail quite alright.

That works for me.

The light is obviously bright and the photo quite distant (or with a low-res camera). The light could cause the back to look blackish, not grey (the back does look lighter than the tail in the rear-view photo, though admittedly not much, and the sides could be interpreted as dark grey in the front view). My 'yellow bill' would be fringing in the photo because of the light, and the speckles on the chest would be due to photo quality.

The undertail pattern - all black tail with pale/white coverts fits Blackstart and not the Scrub Robin (or any wheatear, except maybe Desert, which I don't think this can be however poor the photo). Also, the OP is familiar with the Scrub Robin, and didn't think this bird was one. Finally, he thought it was smaller than Scrub Robin, which would also fit.

Thanks everyone for looking at this. I could go with Blackstart. It seems to fit, looking at some other photos of it. apologies on the photo quality, I snapped them with a phone b/c it was what I had with me at the time.

I snapped them with a phone b/c it was what I had with me at the time.

This isn't aimed at you, John, but it would be useful if people posting 'not so good' photos would say in the first post that it was taken with a phone, or a 60x Olympus point-and-shoot, or whatever because the judgement of people who try to help will be different. Maybe along with the request to give a location for posts, BF could request people to say if the photos were taken with a phone or point-and-shoot?

For example, if my Canon 70D DSLR with the Canon 100-300 lens (or even my Tamron 18-400) showed a yellow bill even in a very distant shot, it would be because the bill was yellow at least to some extent; or if it showed flecks on the chest it would be because there were flecks on the chest.

But my iPod camera (I don't have an actual smartphone on which the cameras are presumably a bit better) is fine for a souvenir shot of a meal out with my wife, or for a casual broad scenic shot, neither of which are ever going to be printed, but even on my 27" computer screen the photos look pretty poor.

I attach an example: a Lesser Cuckoo taken near my house last week (the first I've ever taken of this bird sitting, as opposed to blurred flying photos). The lens was the Tamron 18-400 (so not even a Canon lens) at full 400 zoom on my Canon 70D (not their best DSLR either); and handheld. My friends with 800mm lenses and tripods that cost more than my own whole camera+lens would have been able to get National Geographic photos here, but I prefer to have a light setup and walk around, enjoy the exercise and get whatever photos I can for my own pleasure.

(Free publicity: this Tamron lens is obviously not as great as a much heavier real Canon lens, but if you might want to take wide scene shots and zoom shots on the same walk without the time to change lenses, for example, or for some other reason (I have a hand injury which makes the weight of the full 70-300 sometimes painful - the Tamron is 300g less), it's fantastic, and the vibration control even at 400 is astonishing.)

The bird is 22-27cm. But the colours that you can see are still fairly reliable; notice the yellow on the bill. But with my iPod camera, even assuming the bird was the same size relative to the iPod sensor as it was to my cameras sensor (i.e. a lot closer than this cuckoo), I wouldn't trust it much at all.

I assumed that John's original photos were like the cuckoo crop I have attached, and therefore that the colours could be trusted to a significant degree (e.g. the 'yellow bill').

I think a lot of people even with expensive cameras and lenses don't understand how the camera makes a photo from the data it collects. People think that if the number of advertised pixels is the same, then the quality must be the same. They think that for each 'pixel' on the final output, there must be one 'pixel' on the sensor in the camera. But that's not true. The camera sensor has red, green, blue sensing points (not in equal numbers) and the software makes a photo from the data these point collect. And there will be a lot more pixels in the photo than there are sensing points on the sensor. And just because the final number of pixels is the same doesn't mean that the number of sensing points on the sensor, or the sensor size, were the same . And even with the same sensor and the same software, the bigger the lens, the more light that comes in (under control, of course), the better the digital photo will be, even if the number of pixels is 'the same'.

It's true that smartphone photos are incredible considering the size of the lens (especially if, like me, you are old enough, and were in younger days poor enough, that a few dozen Kodak Instamatic snaps are all you have to remind you of the first 25 years of your life). But they are not as magic as they seem in many, or most situations.

I was astonished when I went to Malaysian Borneo a few years ago to find that everyone else who used a camera (some didn't; they just wanted to look which is fine, of course) was using an iPhone. Many BF members will know how difficult it is to take reasonable photos in a rainforest with good equipment. Indeed, a couple of people on this trip asked me to send photos to them via e-mail because they could see that their own photos were pointless.

And I remember another time when someone was trying to take photos of leaping dolphins from a moving boat in choppy water with an iPad!

Anyway John Tully, I think Blackstart is it (well done Carery).

Attachments

• 180520029A Nara Ponds.jpg
    180520029A Nara Ponds.jpg
    754 KB · Views: 16
  • 180520023 Nara Ponds.jpg
    180520023 Nara Ponds.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for the detective work on this: Blackstart it is. I have one book with few pictures for East Africa (van Perlo) and I would never have thought about Blackstart based on those pictures. It tells indeed a lot about bird guides, photos and our knowledge. Sometimes also even very good pictures can be misleading.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back