• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bold Mockingbird. (1 Viewer)

diggerdug

Lately I have noticed a Mockingbird hanging around in our backyard. This one allows fairly close proximity without flying away as long as there are no objects being carried. I'm talking about a 5-6 foot distance. I checked around in all the nearby bushes and trees thinking it was nesting nearby but found nothing. I enjoy their presence and encourage it not only for their bug eating habit but also enjoy listening to their multitude of sounds they make when they are singing.

We have no pets or kids to scare them so I am wondering if this is normal behavior that I just never noticed before.

They're probably used to your presence. I've found my pair of northern mockingbirds to be very observant. When they first started coming around they were very skittish of people and flew away at first sight (I feed them at my workplace). Now, they actively wait for me to feed them in the mornings when they're especially hungry (i.e., Mondays). I'll occasionally find them perched on the shrub across from where I throw the food (for them it's apples) out, which is no more than a few feet away. I could probably reach out and touch them, they're that close sometimes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back