• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best place to buy a Canon Lens (1 Viewer)

Nick k

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.
I'm looking to purchase a new 100-400 lens.
The online price seems to vary incredibly from around £1500 to £1200.
I'm sure some of the lower prices must be from dodgy sources.
Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks

Prices do vary, look here for uk suppliers. These are Canon agents so they have come through Canon UK.
https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk...s/Canon-EF-100-400mm-f4.5-5.6L-IS-II-USM-Lens

A lot of UK photographers use people importing them from Japan, Grey Imports, and can be a lot cheaper but usually without the Canon UK warranty, but a warranty supplied by the seller, like these who have a uk shop also.
https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-ef-100-400mm-f45-56l-is-ii-usm-2980-p.asp

Thanks very much for this information. Very helpful.

I've bought most of my Canon lenses s/h from LCE, and have enjoyed the lower price. Occasionally, I've checked the lens only on an APS-C body, and finding it OK have relaxed. But, I got burnt with an EF 70-300 F/4-5.6L IS USM which showed no signs of de-centring on a cropped body, but some time after LCE's warranty ran out, I used it on my full frame 5D II. Clearly de-centred, Ouch! The repair by Canon UK at Elstree cost me a reasonable £108.

Depends what you want. If you want the risk of a grey import then by all means pay less.

If you want a kosher lens from the UK then you will be paying within £30-50 difference between most reputable vendors, in which case I'd say just get it from Amazon because they don't give two hoots and will take it back if there are any issues.

I buy everything possible on Amazon because of their hassle free returns. I'm impatient and don't want to jump through hoops. I'd rather just get a refund and buy a new one instead of wait weeks for it to be sent off and repaired etc.

First port of call for me would be here on Birdforum as there are some excellent used lenses being offered for sale and more often than not the sellers have a history of being BF members and contributors for some time.
An example being the 100-400MK2 sold here the other day that was advertised for £1100.

My next port of call would be a reputable grey importer. There is absolutely no risk with retailers such as Hdew and their service is as good as anyone's including returns ( they took back a 7D2 I changed my mind , nothing wrong with it though).They are currently asking £1399 for the same lens. Panamoz are selling at £1370 but although I have bought from them I have no experience of returning anything ( not needed!)

Amazon out of interest are asking£1649.99, WEX £1949.

That's a huge differences between the least and most expensive I have quoted.

Last edited:
This forum is a good place to start. As Dave mentioned, many enthusiasts care for their gear and sell them in excellent condition or better. Of course, you won't get factory warranty but a reputable seller and prior photo documentation of the lens you are buying can help mitigate your concerns. There are other sites devoted to photography where people buy and sell. I won't list them here but they are out there with significant activity (I'm not referring to eB*y either).

You can sometimes find excellent deals from people who are hobbyists wo have like new gear they never use(d). Other than that your local brick and mortars deserve support if you are set on buying new esp. if you can go in and see the lens and mount it and fire it for yourself.

Quote - Panamoz are selling at £1370 but although I have bought from them I have no experience of returning anything ( not needed!)

I bought a Tamron lens from Panamoz about 3 years ago, there was something wrong with it and they sent a courier to collect, free of charge, and when received back they credited my Paypal account immediately. Great customer service.

Yes, I've purchased twice from them. Both times they were very efficient with excellent communications. It seems to me that once these 'grey' companies get known, their prices start to creep up. The newer companies need to break into the market so tend to be the most competitive.

Yes, I've purchased twice from them. Both times they were very efficient with excellent communications. It seems to me that once these 'grey' companies get known, their prices start to creep up. The newer companies need to break into the market so tend to be the most competitive.

Lens arrived today from e-infinty.
Took Just a week. All looks OK. Very impressed with the whole transaction so thanks Steve for recommending in the first place.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back