• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60HS in Action (3 Viewers)

Canon's site doesn't list any firmware updates to the SX60.

I had forgotten to check with the CHDK effort and it looks like they did finally dive into this camera, so maybe you'll find something there? It's still in Alpha though. Glad to see they are messing with it, it might add some interesting functionality/improvements (not sure IQ/IS will be one of them).

What issue are you having? Or did we already cover it way back in this thread?

We covered my problem with the SX60 in a bunch of posts long ago (Dec.7-9 2016 in this topic). I purchased an SX60 fairly early on and when I did side by side testing between my SX50's and the SX60 I found that the IS on the SX60 very much inferior to the SX50 so I returned the SX60.

Unfortunately though my SX50's are all starting to show age. Sticky zoom buttons, lens failure glitches, etc.. stuff you expect with well used mechanical parts. So I am considering my options again.

Unfortunately though my SX50's are all starting to show age. Sticky zoom buttons, lens failure glitches, etc.. stuff you expect with well used mechanical parts. So I am considering my options again.
For mechanical issues and even some mild electrical issues, you might try using DeoxIT. The old Nikon Coolpix 900/950/4500 suffered from button/switch/pivot issues with age and DeoxIT helps alot, and is safe on plastic. I swear by the stuff for fixing oddball contact issues on cameras and audio equipment.

For mechanical issues and even some mild electrical issues, you might try using DeoxIT. The old Nikon Coolpix 900/950/4500 suffered from button/switch/pivot issues with age and DeoxIT helps alot, and is safe on plastic. I swear by the stuff for fixing oddball contact issues on cameras and audio equipment.

Thanks. I'll search that up.

Not great images all but just highlighting the great zoom on this little camera. 1st shot with zero zoom. 2nd with full and 1.4 t/c. Taken today c30 kms east of Ronda, Spain.

Attachments

• de8a85b7-c895-47b9-ad2e-ef66277ab897.jpg
    de8a85b7-c895-47b9-ad2e-ef66277ab897.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 97
  • f0da7654-f91e-460f-a5d7-112dfecd7593.jpg
    f0da7654-f91e-460f-a5d7-112dfecd7593.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 187
4 from today

Attachments

• crow.jpg
    crow.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 67
  • dunlin.jpg
    dunlin.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 82
  • ppp.jpg
    ppp.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 63
  • wht.jpg
    wht.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 78
Have any of you experimented with using a flash? Not the built-in, but something like a Canon Speedlite? Or one of the Better Beamer flash range extenders?

Not my best work, but something nice from my last outing from behind a blind: Great Blue Heron.

This photo was taken at about 40m in overcast conditions. I couldn't use the flash because the holes in the blind did not allow it.

I have some great Western Osprey photos from the same trip I'll upload in the next week or so. Some with, some without flash and as close as 20m or so.

Last edited:
I'd have to see reviews with a marked increase in IQ, otherwise, non-plussed.

The new P1000 is interesting, but just huge and heavy.

I'd have to see reviews with a marked increase in IQ, otherwise, non-plussed.

The new P1000 is interesting, but just huge and heavy.

The SX70 compares more to the Nikon B700 than to the Nikon zoom kings
It seems a more polished offering, at a premium price.
There is surely a decent market for an upscale long zoom among travelers, so Canon made sure their priorities were addressed, improved wide angle, better view finder, fully articulated screen (for selfies). If the image quality is competitive, this should sell well.

I wonder if I should get one as my SX50's are aging.

I tried the SX60 and it was too large for my taste and Image Stabelization sucked next to the SX50.

I expect I'll be reading the reviews.

dammit the same week as my sx60 starts playing up,i will wait until after Christmas before making a decision

Attachments

• corm.jpg
    corm.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 37
  • cow.jpg
    cow.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 47
More photos from my vacation:

On the two osprey photos I was using my external flash (Canon Speedlite 430EX II) without the flash extender/better beamer. The overcast conditions were so dark it was not possible to get the range and also not get excessive motion blue without it. The bird didn't seem to mind.

Honestly, my experience so far has been the birds dislike the camera slap from my girlfriend's D700 far more than me using the flash (in daytime conditions). There have been a couple exceptions, and I watch for those.

Apart from higher frame rate and 20.3 mp sensor it doesn’t look like much of an upgrade. The evf has a improved count though.
Given that the SX60 is still noisy under a wide range of conditions if you dare take it above 400 ISO (which is why I lock mine from even trying), not sure if the extra megapixels is a good thing. Would be better to have better, larger photosites. Sometimes 12–16mp is a better sweet spot on small sensors...more actually useful, clear pixels rather than more pixels of dubious value (and a point I will give the SX50 credit for over the SX60...the SX60 would have been better at 12mp).

More pixels in the EVF is always a plus and makes it easier to spot birds in flight. My RX100 has 1.4m pixel EVF, which is great. The SX60 has just under a 1m EVF which is passable (and one reason I got the SX60 over a used SX50). The 2.36m EVF on the SX70 aught to be truly lovely.

Also looks like the eyecup on the SX70 is nicer, which is not to be underestimated.

Looking forward to some head-to-heads from the review sites. I mean, even if it is crazy better, I'm a couple years from getting one but...it's nice to know what you're saving for. :t:

I just spent my camera funds for a bit on an RX100 Mk. III; a worthwhile purchase.

Portability is a big plus in my opinion for the SX range. Was driving along a country road today when this little beauty dropped in. Had the SX60 in the car and fired off a couple of snaps.

Attachments

• IMG_5776.jpg
    IMG_5776.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5784.jpg
    IMG_5784.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 265

Users who are viewing this thread

Back