• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

grey heron doing what ? (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
just yesterday i saw this grey heron in the Crumlin canal between Newport and Risca behaving rather strangely

first of all, it was standing deeper in the water than i normally have seen grey herons do
secondly, it was wiggling its body and legs with ever increasing movements until it flew off, and i'm not really sure what it was doing - was it scrathing itself against the reeds to relieve an itch ? or was it pumping up the mud under its feet for whatever reason ? it didn't appear to look for any fish, so whatever its leg movements were for it was not for flushing out fish

i managed to video some of its movements, maybe someone can enlighten me whether anything is happening that i'm missing the significance of ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3GnfETjV2k

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back