• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rooks And Crows (1 Viewer)

Susiesue

Hi all, we love to feed our wild birds all year round but have found it increasingly difficult to keep the larger birds away from the feeding tables. We have a medium sized garden with two large bird feeders but we have no tree cover to prevent the rooks and crows from coming in. Very frustrating especially as the colder weather approaches. I know all birds need to feed but when one lands we get about a dozen after it. Any bright ideas from folk on the forum?? Thanks

It would seem you must feeding the food which attracts the corvids and don't have the hanging feeders that the smaller passerines use. Corvids can't use them.

Rooks and crows are ground foragers. 'Tree cover', I don't quite understand this comment. Trees won't stop any bird from coming. Small birds like shrubs and bushes to escape into if they fear a raptor is in the area.

If you could post a picture of your feeders and show a view of what your garden looks like, you may get some more specific advice. Also which birds you have seen that you would like to encourage more.

Yes, large birds have to eat too, and it's often possible to feed both separately so all the species can co-exist.

It would seem you must feeding the food which attracts the corvids and don't have the hanging feeders that the smaller passerines use. Corvids can't use them.

Rooks and crows are ground foragers. 'Tree cover', I don't quite understand this comment. Trees won't stop any bird from coming. Small birds like shrubs and bushes to escape into if they fear a raptor is in the area.

If you could post a picture of your feeders and show a view of what your garden looks like, you may get some more specific advice. Also which birds you have seen that you would like to encourage more.

Yes, large birds have to eat too, and it's often possible to feed both separately so all the species can co-exist.

If there's a will, there's a way. |;|

https://i.imgur.com/i13lC78.png

Ha ha!!!! There's always one, isn't there! The cheeky b*!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back