• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beahaviour books (1 Viewer)

alv_23

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to learn as much as possible about birds and I'm looking for a book about bird behauviour, I mean, a book that explains why and how they behave.

Any recommendation?

"The World of Birds" by Jonathan Elphick (published by The Natural History Museum) is a good introduction to the biology and behaviour of birds and has a good overview of all the bird families of the world.

There is also a shorter version of the same text covering only the biology and behaviour bit, "Birds: A Complete Guide to Their Biology and Behaviour" by Jonathan Elphick (also published by The Natural History Museum).

Bird Behaviour - "The World of Birds" - my review

"The World of Birds" by Jonathan Elphick (published by The Natural History Museum) is a good introduction to the biology and behaviour of birds and has a good overview of all the bird families of the world.

There is also a shorter version of the same text covering only the biology and behaviour bit, "Birds: A Complete Guide to Their Biology and Behaviour" by Jonathan Elphick (also published by The Natural History Museum).

I've just finished reading this book. I've read it from cover to cover over the last few months.

Overall it's got lots of information & seems to focus very much on Europe & North America where possible - especially in the first half.

The level of detail is quite varied which can be a little frustrating. I'm not quite sure the audience that's intended - as it's not at the level of a scientific text (e.g. no references), but in places quite difficult to follow.

Although there are lots of very nice photographs, there are quite a few places in the book where they seem to link to the text or vice versa. For example there is quite a detailed explanation in the bird families about Bearded Tits (3 paragraphs which is a lot for that section) but the photograph on that page is of a different bird. There are places in the text where some more careful proof reading would have helped (references to incorrect pages for example).

Overall I enjoyed what I learned from the book but found it quite hard going -- lots of information but not much narrative to bring the information to life.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back