• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski ATS 65 or ATS 65 HD? (1 Viewer)

Martinetti

Is there a real difference between these two scopes? Is HD only useful for digiscoping? Which scope would you recommend to someone who likes to hike, would use a zoom eyepiece and for whom digiscoping is secondary...

Favorable points of the Swarovski : high optical quality, lightweight, good service and warranty, nice ergonomics...

I have the 65 nonHD and have not felt at a disadvantage because of the lack of HD. I have not tried digiscoping yet.

Is there a real difference between these two scopes?
There are earlier threads here where your question is discussed. HD owners seem to consistently report that the HD is noticeably and usefully sharper to the eye than the standard glass. There are reports that the 65HD is superior to the non-HD 80. An approach that a number have taken is to choose the weight advantage of the 65 over the 80, but to spring for the optical advantage of the HD. This is the choice I made two years ago, with no regrets for the extra money spent on the HD. If feasible, my opinion would be to spend the money once; enjoy it for years!

Last edited:
I own the 65HD and compared it extensively to the nonHD before purchase. There is a small but significant resolution advantage to the HD. Feathers and textures are crisper, more three dimensional. The difference is also apparent at high power on distant birds. You can see more details with HD.

However, the difference is small, and depending on how comfortable and experienced people are at looking through optics, not everyone can see it. You should try to compare them yourself and see if the difference is worth the price to you. I have my scope not just to ID distant birds, but to appreciate all birds with it. That little extra crispness and razor sharp image of the HD is worth it to me. However, the nonHD is a very fine scope that will give you great views of birds.

I have the HD and while it was a little more money I figured that in a short while the cash would be forgotten and at least I wouldn't always be thinking "What if" either way you go you will end up with a top notch instrument.

Is there a real difference between these two scopes? Is HD only useful for digiscoping? Which scope would you recommend to someone who likes to hike, would use a zoom eyepiece and for whom digiscoping is secondary...

Favorable points of the Swarovski : high optical quality, lightweight, good service and warranty, nice ergonomics...

Scoll further down the Swarovski spotting scope site and look for the "to HD or not HD" thread from March, 2007--it will give you some good opinions regarding the issue. I have used a non-HD ATS 65 with a 30x fixed eyepiece and compared it with a 65ATS HD with the same 30x and saw no difference--I don't see color fringing like others do, and the resolution is the same in both. Compare, but I don't see the difference in the $600+ price at 30x!

Digiscoping or not the HD is a better scope, it resolves fine detail better than the non-HD version. I've tested the two side by side on a number of occassions, while the advantages of the HD might not be huge they were enough to convince me to go for an HD. The 65HD is a cracking scope and works really well with the zoom, it stay sharp right up to 60x. If you can afford the HD then get it, if not then save a bit longer.

Dont spend your hard earned on a non HD, you will soon want to upgrade. The HD is superior in every way - tack sharp edge to edge with no colour fringing. 65 or 85? Both are excellent but the 85 will produce more consistent d'scoped results but is heavier and costs more.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back