• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (1 Viewer)

As we continued the drive back to the Homestead, Hans spotted a Gould's Monitor on the road. This guy has many names, including Racehorse Goanna.

He sure was fast when he finally set off into the bush, so that last name is a good one LOL.

As we entered the grounds of the Homestead we found an Emu with his youngsters in tow... I think there were 9 of them.

After lunch we had a quick look at the Homestead Dam finding Magpie-Lark and Red-kneed Dotterel.

We took the Airport Road (yep.... there's an airport at Cunnamulla!!!) Black-faced Woodswallow found on top of a bush. Think that's my 4th species of woodswallow so far!!!

Attachments

• BF Gould's Monitor thread.jpg
    BF Gould's Monitor thread.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 114
  • BF Emu adult thread.jpg
    BF Emu adult thread.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 100
  • BF Emu juveniles thread.jpg
    BF Emu juveniles thread.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 106
  • BF Red-kneed Dotterel thread.jpg
    BF Red-kneed Dotterel thread.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 126
  • BF Black-faced Woodswallow thread.jpg
    BF Black-faced Woodswallow thread.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 123
Deep into the Airport Track and rounding a bend, we saw movements in the verge foliage. It took me some time and many attempts to get photos of a stunning Crimson Chat.

This was the only decent picture I took on that drive, everything else was well obscured so my images were out of focus or I didn't get one at all. Fortunately I'd already photographed most of them or got them on other days.

The other species seen were Australian Ringneck, White-winged Triller, Willie Wagtail, Bourke's Parrot, White-browed and Black-faced Woodswallows and Cockatiels.

So I took a picture of the emerging moon (something I'd really struggled to do with the Fuji). Don't know if it's me, but I've never seen that shape of moon in the UK (with the nibble out of the bottom) and never saw a 'side-ways crescent?

Back at the Homestead, Black-fronted Dotterel was easily visible on the Dam. In the grounds surrounding the cabin was a beautiful Little Corella and a species I'd been trying to track down for days a Brown Treecreeper

Attachments

• BF Crimson Chat thread.jpg
    BF Crimson Chat thread.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 147
  • BF Rising Moon thread.jpg
    BF Rising Moon thread.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 104
  • BF Black-fronted Dotterel Thread.jpg
    BF Black-fronted Dotterel Thread.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 113
  • BF Little Corella thread.jpg
    BF Little Corella thread.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 105
  • BF Brown Treecreeper thread.jpg
    BF Brown Treecreeper thread.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 119
Hi Hans.... indeed I haven't lost them. They're coming.

I'm just preparing the report and pictures for the last day now. That was a good day too, the last one, wasn't it.

Bowra

10 October 2019

I was up at sunrise the next morning and wandered around to see what was about. Shooting conditions a bit awkward with the very low sun.

The first bird to show himself was an Australian Ring-neck. Then a delightful wee White-winged Triller sat on top of a tree for a few minutes. A Crested Pigeon sat on top of another tree.

A quick look down at the dam then, with Masked Plover and Black-fronted Dotterel already up.

Everyone else was beginning to move about by now and it was time for breakfast.

Attachments

• BF Australian Ringneck thread.jpg
    BF Australian Ringneck thread.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 122
  • BF Jacky Winter thread.jpg
    BF Jacky Winter thread.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 102
  • BF Crested Pigeon thread.jpg
    BF Crested Pigeon thread.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 104
  • BF Masked Lapwing thread.jpg
    BF Masked Lapwing thread.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 98
  • BF Black-fronted Dotterel thread.jpg
    BF Black-fronted Dotterel thread.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 95
still waiting for your wonderful photos of a Bourke's Parrot at the dam.Hope you haven't lost them.

Hans

My wife loves to remind me of the old proverb:

"Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can, Seldom found in woman, never found in man."!

Chris (who can't wait either!)

Suddenly Hans and I noticed, both at the same time, a movement in the background.... a Lace Monitor.

I was delighted when he actually came to the pond for a drink. What a creature!

After he left, a Green Catbird arrived with a male Regent Bowerbird and then a female Regent Bowerbird came too. Now back to little birds in delightful, and active Rufous Fantail and a couple of Silvereye.

Man, love the Green Catbird!!
Had no clue a species like that existed. :)
Your thread is reminding me again that Australia absolutely has to be one of the top countries on my to visit list.

Thanks Seth, I'm glad you've enjoyed my thread so far.

Yes, the Green Catbirds really are a stunning colour.

Then we were about to set off for the Back Dam again, just about our favourite place on the reserve in that time of severe drought; Hans wanted to be there early to see if we might have been missing anything.

However, we stopped to watch a Whistling Kite.

At the dam we were surprised to see a few Maned Ducks on the water, so it seems Hans' idea might have had some mileage in it.

A few Major Mitchell's Cockatoos arrived, but didn't show me their erect crests this time either. Then four Crested Pigeons came in for a drink. Followed by..... drum roll..... 12 (yes twelve Apostlebirds, so it's true LOL! (I'd been counting all the groups every day, but this was the first time I'd seen 12 of them). Can you see what joined them for this picture - arrived out of nowhere, rather like the Angel Gabriel LOL

Attachments

• BF Whistling Kite flight thread.jpg
    BF Whistling Kite flight thread.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 118
  • BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 104
  • BF Major Mitchel's Cockatoo thread.jpg
    BF Major Mitchel's Cockatoo thread.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 101
  • BF Crested Pigeons thread.jpg
    BF Crested Pigeons thread.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 108
  • BF Apostlebirds, Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Apostlebirds, Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater thread.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 165
Yeah.... you cheated, didn't you;)

I never even saw it until I was preparing the pictures for upload LOL

It's always good to have another set of eyes looking Larry.... some birds just seem to disappear into the background, don't they!

Hans asked me to look out for the pink nuchal spot on Spotted Bowerbird.... and I finally got it!!! Quite pleased about that.

We then had the other two doves drop in; Diamond and Peaceful... both pretty wee things.

Cockatiels were back with a fly past. Then a Black-faced Cuckooshrike came down off his perch for a drink.

Patience.. it's coming;)

Attachments

• BF Spotted Bowerbird with pink nuchal crest thread.jpg
    BF Spotted Bowerbird with pink nuchal crest thread.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 128
  • BF Diamond Dove thread.jpg
    BF Diamond Dove thread.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 113
  • BF Peaceful Dove thread.jpg
    BF Peaceful Dove thread.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 99
  • BF Cockatiel flight thread.jpg
    BF Cockatiel flight thread.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 114
  • BF Black-faced Cuckooshrike thread.jpg
    BF Black-faced Cuckooshrike thread.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 121
Hi Mark.... long time no speak!!

Yeah, thanks, it was a trip of a lifetime that. There's a long way to go yet too, with many more excitements.

The last few images from the Back Dam.

Hans had suggested I didn't take so many pictures of the 'common' birds there, as I'd been doing LOL, so I only got one image of the White-plumed Honeyeater!

Now for what you've all been waiting for..... a family of BOURKE'S PARROT turned up!!!! What stars they are. So I seem to have got pictures of father, mother and son (hope I've got it right anyway).

Finally the three Ravens returned for a drink.

Attachments

• BF White-plumed Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF White-plumed Honeyeater thread.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 126
  • BF Bourke's Parrot male thread.jpg
    BF Bourke's Parrot male thread.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 148
  • BF Bourke's Parrot female thread.jpg
    BF Bourke's Parrot female thread.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 165
  • BF Bourke's Parrot juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Bourke's Parrot juvenile thread.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 177
  • BF Australian Raven thread.jpg
    BF Australian Raven thread.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 119
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back