• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How would you rate yourself as a birder? (1 Viewer)

lvn600

I know many of you may not care but my question is on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate yourself as a birder? What would you say is your best birding skill? What area would you like to improve upon?

4. Good on many birds, lousy on others (Waders, Raptors).

Best birding skill: enjoying nature and patience.

Room for improvement: Identifying birds by call/song.

rate-probably a 3 or 4 i am good at birds that can be identfied by sight easily

skill-patience and nack for detail

improvement-songs/calls, only know a few and need to improve on that.

If this scale is a linear scale, then I would say a "1" overall - in that for all my knowledge (not saying I have a lot, I'm just saying 100% of what I do have), I am way less than 10% of where I'd like to be so anything over a "1" would be too high.

My best birding skill is: My familiarity with woods and the ability to remain still for extended periods in uncomfortable places to wait for good birds and to move slowly and deliberately.

Would like to improve upon: Learning more about local bird species so that my comfort with the woods can be directed to the sorts of places that will yield the birds I am looking for :D

lvn600 said:
I know many of you may not care but my question is on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate yourself as a birder? What would you say is your best birding skill? What area would you like to improve upon?

Perhaps you could give us all a clue what a 1..4..6 10, birder is like. How would I define myself on the grounds of ability. I am interested in what a 10 is.

I have watched birds for over 40 years (I started very young ;) )

John.

I would rate myself as an almost 1 as a birder but a 10 as a (bad) birdwatcher. I bungle through but I have a lot of fun.(Check out Simon Barnes: How to be a (Bad) Birdwacher)

Enthusiasm/Fun - 11
Visual Identification - 5 (Know most of the common species)
Birdcall Identification - 3

Best Skill - Patience, patience, patience
Would really really like to improve on birdcalls. Any assistance for my region (i.e. Trinidad - Venezuela area) would be much appreciated.

Depends what the scoring is for.I am the perfect birder.I love birds.Can watch for hours,may not know the species,but enjoy the company and environment.Each bird is an individual.The Swallows ,Ospreys,and Cuckoos are one of my fav species.The fact they migrate,esp the juveniles ,who have never made the journey,really makes them special.Could we lesser mortals perform the same,methinks not.So one does not have to be able to to fully id (esp the gulls!!!),but just to enjoy our birds is the most important issue.

Birder or Birdwatcher?

After several years, I'd now rate myself as about 3 as a birder: 375 species in the USA but gulls, sparrows and shorebirds still cause me lots of problems. Part of the problem is that I was just getting familiar with California birds when we went and moved to Texas! (That's my excuse anyway.)

I do much better as a birdwatcher, though, perhaps as high as 6 or 7. I can and do sit and watch birds for hours. Even the most common birds are infinitely fascinating in how they act and interract.

john barclay said:
Perhaps you could give us all a clue what a 1..4..6 10, birder is like. How would I define myself on the grounds of ability. I am interested in what a 10 is.

I have watched birds for over 40 years (I started very young ;) )

John.
It's not meant to be that technical but I would say that to be a 10 you would have to know all the birds of your area by sight and sound. You would also have to know where and when you could find them .You would also know a lot about these birds habits, habitats, and behaviors. You would also be patient and good at getting close to birds without stepping on their nests. So the more you fall short in these categories the lower the number you would get.
What you think your strengths and weaknesses are was the more interesting part of the question.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back