• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Western Andalucia+Doñana+Gibraltar Forum (1 Viewer)

al-Natural

Registered Member
Hi,
I would like to open this thread trying to help and share information on birding/Nature watching in Western Andalucia, including the coastal marshes in Huelva and Cádiz provinces, Doñana area, Tarifa/Straits of Gibraltar and Córdoba provinces.

This area is huge and hides beautiful corners and bird species. Some of them are difficult to find without being a native speaker naturalist. Local knowledge and watching conditions are essential to get the best of this territory.

Just to give an idea, today there are more than 4.000 STE and thousands of raptors near Tarifa or La Janda waiting for the east winds to calm and fly across the Straits and tomorrow will be the day to be there!!! Now in the Guadalquivir marshes there are unusual rare birds to see: Pectoral Sandpiper, Buff-breasted Sandpiper or American Golden Plover!!! Would be a pity to have been just aside the lagoon or the saltpan where they are without being informed!!! :t:

Hope this helps for a better knowledge of our beloved land, and maybe learn some Spanish words, :-O

Saludos
Jorge

Last edited:
Hi,
For those visiting the area, today there were two Baird's Sandpipers and one Lesser Yellowlegs by the Brazo del Este (eastern banks of the Guadalquivir river).
Saludos
Jorge

A great idea which I warmly welcome. Thank you Jorge.

In my own way I have tried to do something similar on Cadiz province (see- www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=194772) and by offering visitors my site notes on the area, but I am painfully aware how limited my efforts are since I'm neither resident in Spain nor speak the language. It's a fantastic area with so much to offer - BoP passage over the straits is the jewel in the crown, but there's so much more to see.

Since, I have an expert local posting here can I ask the exact location of "Laguna Venta la Senuela"? It's had some good birds recently and is just the sort of place, I suspect, that you could easily overlook. I've searched for it on GoogleEarth and the only likely place I can find is c5km NE beyond La Senuela (i.e. where the track/road besides the Guadalquivir swings inland),

A great idea which I warmly welcome. Thank you Jorge.

Since, I have an expert local posting here can I ask the exact location of "Laguna Venta la Senuela"? It's had some good birds recently and is just the sort of place, I suspect, that you could easily overlook. I've searched for it on GoogleEarth and the only likely place I can find is c5km NE beyond La Senuela (i.e. where the track/road besides the Guadalquivir swings inland),

Hi John,
Just arrived from Madrid, where I found inusual warm temperatures for this time of the year!! Thank you very much for your comments. This is an open thread for everybody, where sharing experiences or information is the final aim!!

You asked me for the 'Charcón de La Viñuela', well... This is not a permanent 'formal' spot, as it was formed as a result of the Guadalquivir river shipping works. Then, a variable muddy flat flooded area is there and, as you say, easily overlooked. To get there, first locate the big rice silos named 'El Reboso' (southern side of the 'Brazo del Este') and from there, head south along the narrow road where you'll find a small 'Venta'. You can park there and then walk towards the Guadalquivir river bank, the Charcon is placed from the argile dikes to the river itself.

Anyway, the success of finding rarities there is strongly linked with the presence of bird species at Isla Mínima (a wide area with marshes and rice fields west from the Guadalquivir river) so, knowing the local distribution and movements of interesting species there, it is easy to foretell when waders and other rarities could occur there.

I hope these directions as to how to get there are useful, and please tell me about your researching and watchings there.:t:

Saludos

Jorge

Hi,
For those visiting the area, today there were two Baird's Sandpipers and one Lesser Yellowlegs by the Brazo del Este (eastern banks of the Guadalquivir river).
Saludos
Jorge

Hola Jorge,

I'm planning to visit the Brazo del Este in November but a bit unsure of where the main track starts so hope you can help. I understand it's past Pinzon and near a rice farm with silos, is it obvious when you get there?

Thanks for any help on this or other sites in the area.

Best regards

John

PS I realise the yanks would have gone by the time I get there :-O

I've sent you a PM about this John-Henry. In the meantime if you look at a map of the area and go on Google 'Street View' (which covers all but the last bit of the route) you should be able to work out the route and familiarise yourself with the area,

Hola Jorge,

I'm planning to visit the Brazo del Este in November but a bit unsure of where the main track starts so hope you can help. I understand it's past Pinzon and near a rice farm with silos, is it obvious when you get there?

Thanks for any help on this or other sites in the area.

Best regards

John

PS I realise the yanks would have gone by the time I get there :-O

Hi John,
Well, it seems that John Cantelo sent you directions on how to get there (Thanks John :t: ).

Just have in mind that track conditions if the weather is wet can be extremely slippery, and never goes furthern north from the big 'esclusa' at the Portuguese Dike!!! The Brazo del Este is not a wide area but hides many superb corners where find birds can be easy or not depending on the fallen rain or the progression of the rice harvest. Exploring the best sites involves to walk along some of the hidden banks of the river arm.

Today, more than 1,500 Glossy Ibis were feeding south from the Brazo!!! :eek!:

Do not hesitate to ask wherever you need!!!
Saludos

Jorge

Jorge,

Since you know this area far better than me I left the matter of precise directions to yourself. My PM merely offered some notes on the area garnered following a number of trips there. I wouldn't presume to know more than a fraction of what you can offer!

I'm going there tonight, for the weekend, but rain is forecast so i'm not sure how far i'll be able to get in, i'll let you know.

Many thanks, Jorge, John and Stephen.

Stephen, have a good weekend, I'd be grateful to know what water levels are like (and what birds of course).

Regards

John

Jorge,

Since you know this area far better than me I left the matter of precise directions to yourself. My PM merely offered some notes on the area garnered following a number of trips there. I wouldn't presume to know more than a fraction of what you can offer!

Hi John,
Oh no! Your indications and info is more than welcome!!! I always think that two minds always offer more than one, so having another point of view will give better info to visitors and birders!
Cheers, oopppsss Saludos! :t:

Jorge

I'm going there tonight, for the weekend, but rain is forecast so i'm not sure how far i'll be able to get in, i'll let you know.

Probably you know a weather forecast service in Spain called 'El Tiempo' http://www.eltiempo.es It gives accurate information on the whole country and offers a search tool. The reference locality for Brazo del Este is: Los Palacios y Villafranca.

The page will give you then general weather forecast in the area, but if you click on 'Por hora' button you'll get a 2-day forecast hour by hour. Hope it will help you, and please tell us about your outing.

HOT NEWS: There is a juv Pallid Harrier close to Isla Mayor, at the western side of the Guadalquivir river (seen this morning).

Suerte! (Good luck!)

Jorge

Hi all,

Anyone know the situation regarding present water levels in the Donana area and Brazo del Este area.
I'm off to Portugal this coming wekend and usually have a trip or two to the Donana area but a couple of birders who know the area visited last week and found most places fairly dry.

Thanks for any info on the situation.

John

Hi all,
Anyone know the situation regarding present water levels in the Donana area and Brazo del Este area.
I'm off to Portugal this coming wekend and usually have a trip or two to the Donana area but a couple of birders who know the area visited last week and found most places fairly dry.
John

Hi John,
Well, it has been raining last week, but water levels are still low. However the Brazo del Este and northern areas by Entremuros, Brazo de la Torre and Isla Mayor-Isla Menor are in fairly good conditions for birding. Now it's a very good time to enjoy Purple Swamphens, harriers, herons and Egrets, as they are roaming the paddyfields but go back to sleep at the well-known roosting places. Numbers of Black Storks are also good.

Anyway, it is very important to know how the rice harvesting is going on, as they are burning the stubbles and most of the birds avoid the areas with smoke, despite the great aesthetic spectacle offered at sunset!!!

I have some pictures of this in one of my new Flickr photo albums:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jotagarzon/collections/72157627906480805/

But now is one of the best times to discover 'not-easy' ducks as Marble Teals and White-headed ducks in Doñana; and also checking small birds can be very rewarding, as we could discover a Yellow-browed Warbler last friday on the Algarbe stream (Itinerary nr 11 of my book 'Where to Watch Birds in Doñana).

Welcome down here!!
Saludos!

Jorge

Hi John,
Well, it has been raining last week, but water levels are still low. However the Brazo del Este and northern areas by Entremuros, Brazo de la Torre and Isla Mayor-Isla Menor are in fairly good conditions for birding. Now it's a very good time to enjoy Purple Swamphens, harriers, herons and Egrets, as they are roaming the paddyfields but go back to sleep at the well-known roosting places. Numbers of Black Storks are also good.

Anyway, it is very important to know how the rice harvesting is going on, as they are burning the stubbles and most of the birds avoid the areas with smoke, despite the great aesthetic spectacle offered at sunset!!!

I have some pictures of this in one of my new Flickr photo albums:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jotagarzon/collections/72157627906480805/

But now is one of the best times to discover 'not-easy' ducks as Marble Teals and White-headed ducks in Doñana; and also checking small birds can be very rewarding, as we could discover a Yellow-browed Warbler last friday on the Algarbe stream (Itinerary nr 11 of my book 'Where to Watch Birds in Doñana).

Welcome down here!!
Saludos!

Jorge

Hola Jorge,

Many thanks for your update, just a couple more questions please.

What condition is the main track to the J.V. Centre in this year, is it driveable in a small hire car or is it best to take the track going right at the Casa de Bombas and come around this way,
second question is - have the cranes arrived yet?

Many thanks again

John

PS enjoyed your Flicker photos, I take it they burn the stubble just prior to ploughing the fields?

What condition is the main track to the J.V. Centre in this year, is it driveable in a small hire car or is it best to take the track going right at the Casa de Bombas and come around this way,
second question is - have the cranes arrived yet?

PS enjoyed your Flicker photos, I take it they burn the stubble just prior to ploughing the fields?

Hi John,
The main track along the Entremuros, south from the Brazo de la Torre, and then turning right to FAO dike is plenty of pot holes, as usual. It is much better take the track going west (right as you say) at the Casa de Bombas and then drive along the dike from the Caño Guadiamar to JAValverde, Lucio del Lobo and Huerta Tejada. It is worth to get Casa de Bombas as is the best area to try Great Bitters from now onwards!

The cranes are waiting for you!!! ;) Numbers are still fluctuating but there are a minimum of 700-900 birds in the fields now.

Hope this helps!

Saludos
Jorge
P.S. Cranes have also arrived to La Janda and Tarifa area.

Hola Jorge,

Thank you very much for the information, it's really appreciated.

Looking forward to a return visit to your wonderful area even more now.

Best regards

John

Hi John,
The main track along the Entremuros, south from the Brazo de la Torre, and then turning right to FAO dike is plenty of pot holes, as usual. It is much better take the track going west (right as you say) at the Casa de Bombas and then drive along the dike from the Caño Guadiamar to JAValverde, Lucio del Lobo and Huerta Tejada. It is worth to get Casa de Bombas as is the best area to try Great Bitters from now onwards!

The cranes are waiting for you!!! ;) Numbers are still fluctuating but there are a minimum of 700-900 birds in the fields now.

Hope this helps!

Saludos
Jorge
P.S. Cranes have also arrived to La Janda and Tarifa area.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back