• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparison of ATX 95mm and Canon Telephoto lenses (1 Viewer)

A pretty unfair comparison…

Mostly because of the diffraction (small f-number) scopes have a difficulty in competing with a pure photographic telephoto lens.

The scope solution has a lot more lens elements involved in the light pathway,
probably the significant central longitudinal CA (even at 40x) in the swaro is a result of that,
A bit of TLS APO "optical hybris" I would say, physical laws are hard to overcome, kowas solution I think is a bit more focused on IQ though not as convenient.

But don't forget, the swaro scope is not cheap but still just a third of the canon 500mm lens….
and significantly lighter,
but the main weakness with the swaro solution is not mentions in the article though,
the lack of auto focus,
pretty much like building a house of cards with a stick…
;)

Last edited:
not an unfair comparison - imo...by the way, Roger Cicala is a retired MD and Clay is a representative for Swarovski. Those are the two people who did the test...if it was unfair why would Swarovski have participated on an official level? they knew what they were doing...

people need info to make decisions - this study shows the strengths and weaknesses of digiscoping vs. using a telephoto lens.

not an unfair comparison - imo...by the way, Roger Cicala is a retired MD and Clay is a representative for Swarovski. Those are the two people who did the test...if it was unfair why would Swarovski have participated on an official level? they knew what they were doing...

people need info to make decisions - this study shows the strengths and weaknesses of digiscoping vs. using a telephoto lens.

A comparison with Kowa digiscoping equipment would have been more interesting, from the Swaro point of view...

competing with probably the worlds best lenses that costs 3-4 times the price of the scope is pretty unfair.…imo

;)

but one interesting thing is the IQ difference at short and long range comparison,
looking at short range resolution charts doesn't say much about what happens in the real world
observing on long distance

Last edited:
Interesting comparison and a not surprising result. For a birder who takes photographs he is not going to be too swayed by this. But for a photographer who photographs birds and wants to get the best quality possible then this is good to know. Price shouldn't come into this discussion because everyone has different views about how much they want to spend for their hobby and if it's a business ( selling photos) then you most go for the best.
A major difference for me between the two approaches is you get Auto Focus with the lens and you get observing ability with the scope. I wouldn't give up the ability to scan birds out at distance for Auto Focus but I have a friend in India who does both. But he has a car and camera wallah to move his kit around.
Neil.

Thanks Neil - yes for some situations the scope with camera is better...and other situations the camera with telephoto is better.

Overall it is great to see people doing more or less scientific tests (making variables such as distance to subject and lighting) equal - and then comparing results.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back