• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bausch and Lomb Elite 8x42's (1 Viewer)

Justin

I am curious to get some opinions on the new Bausch and Lomb Elite 8x42's. How rugged are they? How are they optically? How is the warranty? And how do they rate with the Swarovskis and Leicas?

I've had a pair of the previous edition of B&L 8X42 for 5 years now, and had no problems with them at all, apart from getting some nasty scratches on one of the lenses recently, but that doesn't seem to have affected the optical quality at all. . .
Ruggedness with their rubber armouring is excellent; careful focussing is important to get a good image, but close focus is astounding - I can look down and focus on my boots. . .
For me it was a choice between these and the Leicas; I thought that the Leica had the slight edge on optical quality, but were more expensive and very uncomfortable to hold, while the B&L fit very well in the hands.

Thanks for your response. I'm looking to purchase a new set of binoculars and am a bit overwhelmed by the opinions out there. I figured the best people to ask are the ones who own and use them. I've narrowed it down between Swarovski 7x42slc, Leica 8x32bn and the Bausch and Lomb Elite 8x42's. I know these binoculars all vary a bit in there performance, but price range is relatively close. I'm now trying to decide which would be the best all around.

Justin said:
Thanks for your response. I'm looking to purchase a new set of binoculars and am a bit overwhelmed by the opinions out there. I figured the best people to ask are the ones who own and use them. I've narrowed it down between Swarovski 7x42slc, Leica 8x32bn and the Bausch and Lomb Elite 8x42's. I know these binoculars all vary a bit in there performance, but price range is relatively close. I'm now trying to decide which would be the best all around.

It's curious that you have chosen 3 quite different binoculars.

Regarding the Leica 8x32 BN, I would recommend that you also look at the Nikon 8x32 HG, as IMO they have better optics, and a lot more eye relief. (I assume you 'require' waterproofing.) To my eyes the Nikons are brighter, have less edge distortion, and little or no vignetting. The good news is that in the US they are cheaper than the Leica's. You should be able to find relevent info from others on this forum.

I have not tested the Swaro and B&L bins.

Yeah, I know my choices are a bit interesting! One of my main concerns is money. I've looked around a lot and have tested quite a few, and these three, although they vary so much, are relatively close in price. They are also my three personal favorite brands. That being said, I am looking to use them mostly for viewing wildlife from about 100-200yds. out. I have come to conclude that these would all serve that purpose, while the 7x42's and 8x42's would provide better performance in low light. I'm now trying to just get some personal feedback from people who have owned them. Thanks so much for your responses. They are much appreciated.

I'd also throw a vote in for the Nikon HG 8x32 or venturer LX (as it is your side of the pond ). There is a review of the B&L Elite's on www.betterviewdesired.com I think.

I'd also suggest looking at the Opticron DBA 8x42. Not sure where you get them stateside. Birdwatcher's Digest recently reviewed some Opticron bins so if you pm the owner btw3 he may be able to tell you the stockist over there.

If you don't need waterproofing then Leif suggests the Nikon 8x32SE don't you Leif.

pduxon said:
If you don't need waterproofing then Leif suggests the Nikon 8x32SE don't you Leif.

Pete: Funny you should say that, yes I do recommend the Nikon 8x32 SE above any other 8x40 (or 8x30) binocular.

(FWIW To my eyes the optics equal or exceed those of any 8x40 roof prism binocular i.e. brighter, sharper, flatter field, less edge distortion. I find them comfortable to hold, although the rubber eye tubes are a bit of a pain, and they are not waterproof which does not bother me. There are loads of reviews here and elsewhere of these bins so you can get a balanced opinion rather than just my waffle.)

There was a thread some while back in which people discussed the B&L Elites:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=10477&highlight=bausch+elite

Maybe if you search on the Swaros too you will find something. (The Search option is in the Forums menu at top left of the page.)

I bought a pair of B&L Elites a couple of months ago. I'm happy with them so far. Several of my friends have been using them for quite a while and no problems. One of the reasons I selected them was price, they were cheaper than most of the competitors, in fact they had come down about $150 in price which made them about $1050 Cdn. Another reason was that I had the oportunity to try them first, any other brand I would have had to buy blind by mail. I did consider the Opticon but my dealer (who carries most of the major makes) stopped carrying them because of what he claims is a history of poor support, I believe that they are also a lot more expensive.
The B&L's appear to be rugged and functional in design. A bit heavy perhaps. Since I bird a lot around salt water and sometimes in some pretty dirty weather I wanted water proof which they are.
Good luck on your selection! I had a problem selecting a new scope but ended up with a Lieca.

A belated response

Justin said:
I am curious to get some opinions on the new Bausch and Lomb Elite 8x42's. How rugged are they? How are they optically? How is the warranty? And how do they rate with the Swarovskis and Leicas?

I just thought I would relay my story of Bausch and Lomb elite 10x42s--I had the older models with fold down eyepiece gaurds. I sent the binoculars in because, after several years use, I thought I was picking up internal flare. It was not obvious, but it was annoying me. When the binoculars were returned, I received a new set with the screw-in eyepiece guards. No mention about my earlier complaint that the binoculars might be ghosting (under very severe lighting conditions)--just a new pair of binoculars.

Justin said:
I've narrowed it down between Swarovski 7x42slc, Leica 8x32bn and the Bausch and Lomb Elite 8x42's.

Hi Justin,

I have the Swarovski 7x42 SLC and Nikon 8x32 HG (LX in US). They were both chosen after many comparisons. I chose the HGs as my day-to-day hang-round-your-neck binos because of their size, weight, brightness, edge sharpness, quick and close focusing (1.8m). They were compared with Swaro 8.5x ELs, Leica Ultravid 8x42 and B&L Elite 8x42 (which I owned for about 3 years until stolen), and were, for me, the best all round bino for MY needs.

My 7x42s are for deep forest and twilight use and were compared only with the Zeiss BGAT ClassiC. The SLC IS heavy at 950g, but is nicely balanced and is almost the equal of the Zeiss optically whilst being waterproof and much more robust, which is why I chose them rather than the Zeiss.

If I was limited to just one pair, I would opt for the Nikon 8x32 HG/LX every time, but in the end, as ever, you need to get each of them in >your< hand and to >your< eyes to make that final, subjective, decision.

Chris

I bought the B&L Elites

I find these Elites are great, The site www. better view desired.com was a huge help in the decision making process. I am very satisfied with my new bins. What a pleasure they have made birding for me.

I've had the 10x42 Elites for about 6-7 years, and I love 'em and have had no problems at all. I also have been extremely impressed with B&L's customer service on previous models of bins, which is partially what influenced my buying the Elites. I realize not the same model you're asking about, but I couldn't be happier with mine. These also close-focus to just at 5', so at 5'8" I have no trouble seeing all the ticks on my bootlaces after a tromp through the woods. ;)

I own four Swarovski binocs, in each case chosen over hi-end competition. The most recent purchase is a 10x42 SLC, which will probably be my last. There is something about the SLCs that just work for me. Swarovski customer service has also been OUTSTANDING!

At the end of the day, however, it will come down to your own very personal preferences. My only advise is this: if you have reservations, don't buy. If you're short on funds, borrow but don't compromise.

elkcub

Justin,
You asked about the warranty on the B&Ls. One of the best in the industry, Bushnell has always believed in service. My B&L 8x42 Elites arrived just today. I took some quick looks thru the B&Ls and quickly compared them to my 8x32 SEs. They looked about the same!! I'll check them against each other more, later. B&H Photo Video has a good price right now($599.95) on the B&L 8x42 Elite. Take a look at this, click on link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=223370&is=REG

Hey, it says out of stock, I must have gotten the last ones! They are made, no more under the B&L label. I understand they'll be made under the Bushnell label, later. Original retail was up around $1600.00.
If I am reading BVD correctly, it sounds as though the B&Ls were the reference standard before Nikon took over.

Last edited:
ulgah said:
I must have gotten the last ones! They are made, no more under the B&L label. I understand they'll be made under the Bushnell label, later. Original retail was up around $1600.00.
If I am reading BVD correctly, it sounds as though the B&Ls were the reference standard before Nikon took over.
Ulgah,

Good for you.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Justin,

Hoping I'm not just echoing previous sentiments here... but here goes.

Don't throw Nikon out as a serious option, my HG 8x32 are STILL my favorite all-around binocular that I reach for first probably 90% of the time when leaving the house. If I were forced to choose only one binocular from my selection and lose the rest, I would happily grab the Nikons and tearfully bid the rest goodbye.

However.... yesterday I purchased a pair of Bausch&Lomb Discoverer 7x42 binoculars at a closeout sale locally, and they very well could take a CLOSE 2nd place to the Nikons in the future. With my limited use so far, they are rapidly becoming one of my most praised pair of binoculars... I'm still astonished by their sheer clarity, brightness, field of view, and excellent build quality. I've yet to hear even one bad report about customer service from Bushnell (the buyer of Bausch&Lomb) which does nothing but help my overall opinion of these binoculars.

Toward the end of the year, I'm planning on purchasing a pair of Zeiss FL 7x42, and if they are as good as the reports, they might just replace my Nikon HG's as my favorite all-around optics. Until then, the Nikon and Bausch&Lomb are both neck and neck... with the Nikon holding a VERY slight edge.

Hope this rambling helps... and good luck with your decision!

Best wishes,
Bawko

B&L Elites 10x40

I hate to be the dissenter on this string but I have to admit that I owned a pair of B&L Elites 10x40s for about 6 months and traded them back in because I loathed 'em! What was the problem - only the one that others have noted about this glass and that is the criticality of the focus giving the impression of an extremely shallow depth of field. I could not live with it after persevering for 6 months or so, so I gave up and got some Zeiss. I acknowledge that this may only apply to the 10x40s and the 8-powers may be better.

Atomic Chicken said:
Justin,

Hoping I'm not just echoing previous sentiments here... but here goes.

Don't throw Nikon out as a serious option, my HG 8x32 are STILL my favorite all-around binocular that I reach for first probably 90% of the time when leaving the house. If I were forced to choose only one binocular from my selection and lose the rest, I would happily grab the Nikons and tearfully bid the rest goodbye.

However.... yesterday I purchased a pair of Bausch&Lomb Discoverer 7x42 binoculars at a closeout sale locally, and they very well could take a CLOSE 2nd place to the Nikons in the future. With my limited use so far, they are rapidly becoming one of my most praised pair of binoculars... I'm still astonished by their sheer clarity, brightness, field of view, and excellent build quality. I've yet to hear even one bad report about customer service from Bushnell (the buyer of Bausch&Lomb) which does nothing but help my overall opinion of these binoculars.

Toward the end of the year, I'm planning on purchasing a pair of Zeiss FL 7x42, and if they are as good as the reports, they might just replace my Nikon HG's as my favorite all-around optics. Until then, the Nikon and Bausch&Lomb are both neck and neck... with the Nikon holding a VERY slight edge.

Hope this rambling helps... and good luck with your decision!

Best wishes,
Bawko

B & L Elites 8x42

hg1 said:
I hate to be the dissenter on this string but I have to admit that I owned a pair of B&L Elites 10x40s for about 6 months and traded them back in because I loathed 'em! What was the problem - only the one that others have noted about this glass and that is the criticality of the focus giving the impression of an extremely shallow depth of field. I could not live with it after persevering for 6 months or so, so I gave up and got some Zeiss. I acknowledge that this may only apply to the 10x40s and the 8-powers may be better.

I've had the 8x42's for about 2 years now and have really wanted to like them. The focussing is silky smooth but way too fast for me; I keep wanting to readjust the focus and can't enjoy the view. In all other respects this bino is a keeper. I pull them out and use them once in a while but always find them uncomfortable in this one regard.

hg1 and Len,

Please be aware that the model I put in my posting was the 7x42 Discoverer, not the elite. I have never owned or tried a pair of elites, so I can't comment on them... just the discoverer. The only thing I really don't like about my Discoverers is the diopter adjustment, it is a small "lever" that pokes out about 1/4" behind the focus wheel. The diopeter adjusts just fine, and has positive clicks to keep it from "free wheeling". However, it is just a tiny bit too long, and has a tendency to be knocked out of adjustment if you are grabbing the binoculars in a hurry. I'm thinking about filing it down a bit, I'm not worried about binocular resale value on these as I'm DEFINITELY keeping them forever. ;) This is my only complaint about these otherwise excellent binoculars!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back