• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Samsung EX1 for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

digiscope09

I have been reading the reviews on the Samsung EX1 which has an f1.8 lens. Seems like it has almost everything going for it except that the 3x zoom 24mm-72mm is probably a bit short especially in comparison with the Canon S95 which I generally use at 50mm and sometimes at 85mm. Anyone used this camera please?

finno

FWIW, there is no practical digiscoping advantage in a camera with a lens aperture larger (i.e. f2 or f1.8) than f2.8, which is about the fastest SYSTEM APERTURE possible with an unvignetted image on a big Kowa 88 fieldscope. Scopes in the 80-60mm size can get by with even slower lens speeds of ~f3-4.

Nevertheless, I suspect looking at the pics of Samsung with its lens extended that it will not work anyway.

Last edited:
More information required

FWIW, there is no practical digiscoping advantage in a camera with a lens aperture larger (i.e. f2 or f1.8) than f2.8, which is about the fastest SYSTEM APERTURE possible with an unvignetted image on a big Kowa 88 fieldscope. Scopes in the 80-60mm size can get by with even slower lens speeds of ~f3-4.

Nevertheless, I suspect looking at the pics of Samsung with its lens extended that it will not work anyway.

I may not have made myself clear... the S95 lens is 28-104 at 3.8 zoom and has relatively small lens movement between min and max. With a sweet spot at 50mm and still quite shart at 85mm I was concerned that the 24-72 lens on the Samsung might not be enough with a sweet spot around 40mm. Alos.The range of lens movement is critical. There is only small movement between min and max zoom on the S95 so I was wondering how the Samsung shaped up as the Lumix LX5 has a long lens movement range limiting it for digiscoping. (unless all you want to do is set up to take photos of stationary water birds)

Even though it has a lens focal length range shorter than the LX5 and S95 it is a MUCH thicker camera. Thus the distance from the lens to the sensor plane of the X1 appears to be too far for the typical ~20mm eyerelief of digiscoping eyepiece. You can expect strong vignetting at all lens focal lengths. Cameras that have a lens control ring all have this issue to varying degrees. The Canon S90/95 have relatively smaller bodies compared to other control ring cameras so are the only ones that display minimal vignetting.

Last edited:
Finno,
This lens is a similar range to the Ricoh GX100/200 ( 24 -72 mm ) . The Ricoh vignettes quite badly with a standard eyepiece with 20 mm of ER. You need to zoom to almost full zoom to eliminate it. It makes it a bit limiting. I like to have at least a two time zoom range for digiscoping eg. 40 - 80 mm but around 40 mm is where I am most of the time for sharpest results.
Neil

Thanks Neil

Its interesting as I have previously used a Ricoh GX200 on my Swarov 30x fixed and vignetting disappeared at 35mm, I was wondering whether the Samsung might perform likewise but alas have no dealers where I live to check before buying.

finno

Thanks Neil

Its interesting as I have previously used a Ricoh GX200 on my Swarov 30x fixed and vignetting disappeared at 35mm, I was wondering whether the Samsung might perform likewise but alas have no dealers where I live to check before buying.

finno

You're right Finno. I was thinking about the 20 - 60 zoom.
Neil

Olympus EX-1 28-112mm 4x zoom

Further to my thread on Samsung EX-1, wondering if the EX-1 is a contender. Slightly less zoom that the Samsung. Dont know whether this translates into lens movement though.

finno

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back