• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with dragonfly exuviae (1 Viewer)

al-Natural

Registered Member
Good morning,
I found this exuviae on a Prunella genus wildflower by a mountain stream in Cantabria, at 400 m.a.s.l.

I have no ID guide around. I thought that could be a Cordulegaster boltonii but the abdomen far end in this species shows three spines and this shows just two!

Any idea?

Thank you very much in advance!

Jorge

Attachments

• Exuvia.jpg
    Exuvia.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 24
Jorge

This is Boyeria irene

It has a sharp pointed angle at the rear of the head which distinguishes it from Aeshna sp. which it otherwise resembles

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Jorge

This is Boyeria irene

It has a sharp pointed angle at the rear of the head which distinguishes it from Aeshna sp. which it otherwise resembles

Thank you very much indeed! This is a new species for this area, just briefly seen once 50 km away from here!

Kind regards,

Jorge

I will get a second (more expert!) opinion on the ID although I do have a few B.irene exuviae

I see from http://aeaelbosqueanimado.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Prunier-et-al-2015-Listas-provinciales.pdf that Cantabria has very few odonata records.

Thank you again Paul.
Cantabria has no many records but it has indeed interesting odonata species. We are working with Moths, Dragonflies and Damselflies in order to compile records and fix distribution maps for this interesting insect groups.
Please, feel free to send us any relevant information that you consider interesting!

Kind regards,

Jorge Garzón

Thank you again Paul.
Cantabria has no many records but it has indeed interesting odonata species. We are working with Moths, Dragonflies and Damselflies in order to compile records and fix distribution maps for this interesting insect groups.
Please, feel free to send us any relevant information that you consider interesting!

Kind regards,

Jorge Garzón

The reply I received from David Chelmick re the ID was
"If you look at the hind margin of the head you will see how angular it is; hence Boyeria irene. All other aeshnids in Iberia have rounded margins.
I'll make an exuvia man out of you yet????"

so that's good news!

I've not visited Cantabria yet so I'm afraid I've got no records to contribute but if I do in the future I'll let you know what I see.

Regards
Paul

Dear Paul,
I am going to cancel this account as I have a duplicate one. I will keep posting as 'JorgeGarzon' username.

See you soon on the board

Jorge Garzón

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back