• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pellet Contents (1 Viewer)

helenol

Stumbled upon these pellets today, not a million miles from my house.

Looked up, and there was the familiar whitewash on the branches of the trees, and on the ground too. There was also a huge nest at the top of the tree.

Anyway, there was a large quantity of pellets in the immediate area of the nest. In one of them was the skeletal remains of a foot.

Any ideas which mammal this foot was once attached to?

(I am pretty certain it's a buzzard nest, since they are in the immediate area, and last week, I watched a buzzard fly over the house in the direction of the nest with a rabbit in its talons! It was pure chance I came across the nest today; I didn't hang around)

TIA

Attachments

• Pellet Contents.jpg
    Pellet Contents.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Pellets3.jpg
    Pellets3.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 127
"Any ideas which mammal this foot was once attached to?"

A moose perhaps, (mouse) to the non-Scottish amoungst us.

Drop the pellets in a dish of warm water and let them soak apart. You will probably find more skeletal remains, which may help you identify the prey items.
A wee paint brush is sometimes a help in teasing them apart.
Happy investigations.

Regards

Malky

"I suspect it's a little too large for a mouse."

A big mouse then (o)<

"Marvellous, that's one way of passing the time I suppose. Ta."

Least it would be better than watchin yon Big Brither.

Regards

Malky

I would say looking at the size of the remains it`s likely to be a rat.Agree it looks a bit big for a mouse.

Mark

Mark, my thoughts too. I had noticed a couple of rats close by recently, but haven't seen them for a few days, so it is conceivable one of them was taken.

On the other hand, I wonder if the remains are rabbit, poss too small. As previously mentioned, I did see the buzzard with a rabbit in its talons.

Regards

Squirrel, rat, mole (back foot), young rabbit, leveret, fox cub, stoat, weasel, puppy?!

Impossible to tell from that photo. You'd need to compare with a collection, or do an genetic analysis.

Thanks for the replies. Offord, yes I agree, a fair point you make there. My hunch is squirrel.

btw, someone asked me today, in all seriousness whether the red kite was a danger to children - i.e. do the kites attack children! Quite.

But I digress....

helenol said:
Thanks for the replies. Offord, yes I agree, a fair point you make there. My hunch is squirrel.

btw, someone asked me today, in all seriousness whether the red kite was a danger to children - i.e. do the kites attack children! Quite.

But I digress....
Tell them yes Helen, especially the hooded ones!!!|:mad:|

lol, kites are eating kids daily round here H.

interesting pellets too, let us know what is inside - bit like a kinder surprise!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back