Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

1.6x extender coming!

Old Tuesday 22nd December 2015, 03:27   #26
karmantra

Eagle Optics was due to get them in on Dec. 1, but they haven't arrived yet. Hoping they get into the U.S. soon! Ki mmo's endorsement of the extender sealed it. I want one ASAP!

Last edited by karmantra : Tuesday 22nd December 2015 at 03:35.
Old Tuesday 22nd December 2015, 16:58   #27
karmantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmantra View Post
Eagle Optics was due to get them in on Dec. 1, but they haven't arrived yet. Hoping they get into the U.S. soon! Ki mmo's endorsement of the extender sealed it. I want one ASAP!
Wow--Nyla at Eagle Optics called this morning and said they got the extenders in and I have one coming before Christmas. They still show out of stock on their site but they are going through their presales first. Might be a good idea to give them a call!
Old Monday 28th December 2015, 14:35   #28
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I already have the 30x as I got it when I bought the scope several years back. Just wondering if anyone that has the extender has the wide as well and knows if they are compatible and also if they perform well together. I wasn't sure if this 1.6 lens was purely designed to enhance the zoom eyepieces.
Thank you for your replies.
according to a dealer in Sweden the new extender will work with the 30x and the two zooms

25-60xW (TE-11WZ) -> 40-96x, FOV 26-14 m/1000 m (1.5-0.82 ), EP 2.2-0.9 mm (880)

20-60x (TE-10Z) -> 32-96x, FOV 24-12 m/1000 m (1.4-0.7 ), EP 2.8-0.9 mm (880)

30xW (TE-17W) -> 48x, FOV 26 m/1000 m (1.5 grader), EP 1.8 mm (880)
Old Monday 28th December 2015, 14:41   #29
jring

Thanks for sharing the info... now the Kowa is even more appealing...

Joachim
Old Monday 28th December 2015, 16:49   #30
Pileatus

Could someone who uses an extender please comment on vibration effects at mags over 60X?
Old Wednesday 30th December 2015, 21:38   #31
Paul Hackett

My Kowa colleague Rob Wilton has stacked 2 x 1.6 extenders together

see here, hope the link works !

https://twitter.com/infourthirds/sta...66240517218304

Regards

Paul
Old Tuesday 5th January 2016, 08:45   #32
Boy Wonder
Warden - RSPB Lincolnshire Wash Reserves

Best seller/price for this lens? Looks like an essential purchase to get the best out of the scope.
Old Thursday 28th January 2016, 09:41   #33
Boy Wonder

Anyone who owns an 883, get this lens. You are wasting the ability of your scope without it. It's like you're driving a Ferrari with only 4 gears. You will absolutely not regret this purchase. I used it in dull conditions and was amazed. Works beautifully with the 30x and even with the original 20-60. The new 25-60 must be awesome with it.
Old Thursday 28th January 2016, 11:32   #34
AllanM

Quote:
Anyone who owns an 883, get this lens. You are wasting the ability of your scope without it. It's like you're driving a Ferrari with only 4 gears. You will absolutely not regret this purchase. I used it in dull conditions and was amazed. Works beautifully with the 30x and even with the original 20-60. The new 25-60 must be awesome with it.
Totally agree! Just received mine today from Aceoptics in UK (I only ordered it late yesterday!). I'm amazed at the clarity, sharpness and brightness, I wasn't expecting it to be this good! Not regretting this purchase at all. Just need Kowa to make a slightly longer lens piece cover as the extra length is just a bit to long to allow upper and lower press studs on cover to be used. It still works fine though and provides protection to lens.
Old Thursday 28th January 2016, 21:46   #35
Boy Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
Totally agree! Just received mine today from Aceoptics in UK (I only ordered it late yesterday!). I'm amazed at the clarity, sharpness and brightness, I wasn't expecting it to be this good! Not regretting this purchase at all. Just need Kowa to make a slightly longer lens piece cover as the extra length is just a bit to long to allow upper and lower press studs on cover to be used. It still works fine though and provides protection to lens.
Mine didn't come with a case, just a selotaped bit of bubble wrap. Think I'll only be taking it off in really poor light conditions. Used it as dusk the other day at Warham Greens gate and picked a Barn Owl out near the Well's pines. Unreal.
Old Friday 29th January 2016, 08:26   #36
AllanM

Quote:
Mine didn't come with a case, just a selotaped bit of bubble wrap. Think I'll only be taking it off in really poor light conditions. Used it as dusk the other day at Warham Greens gate and picked a Barn Owl out near the Well's pines. Unreal.
Sorry, my fault I wasn't clear, what I meant was the eye piece lens cover that attaches to the stay on case. It's slightly too short to completely attach with the extender in place, just by the top single press stud only. I won't be removing the extender now it's installed.
Old Thursday 4th February 2016, 10:36   #37
keeny

Got mine coming tomorrow.........hope its as good as reported to be.
Old Thursday 4th February 2016, 18:54   #38
stuarta21

Where did you order from Keeny?
Old Friday 5th February 2016, 08:14   #39
AllanM

I got mine from Ace Optics in Bath, Stuart. Ordered 4pm one day and was delivered 11am the next!
Old Friday 5th February 2016, 08:37   #40
stuarta21

We had a letter from Ace as that's where we bought our scope from, brilliant service. Would like to see one in use before parting with the money though don't have much to spare at the moment!
Old Friday 5th February 2016, 11:52   #41
AllanM

All I can say is that I was very happy with the extender performance but, of course, optics can be a very personal thing. There is no Kowa stockist close to me so I had to take it based on reviews and feedback from others and it worked out well for me. I know CleySpy stock them, not a million miles from you I believe?
Old Friday 5th February 2016, 17:06   #42
keeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarta21 View Post
Where did you order from Keeny?
I also got mine from Ace optics .

I was giving it a try out in my garden just looking at the fence at full mag and i saw some little insects crawling around a piece of wire. Now the thing is when i went down there to have a look i could hardly see them with the naked eye, had to look real hard.

I do find you have to be smack on with the focus and no movement as the depth of field is very shallow at full magnification .

I'll see what its like in the field on the week end .
Old Sunday 7th February 2016, 21:38   #43
keeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeny View Post
I also got mine from Ace optics .

I was giving it a try out in my garden just looking at the fence at full mag and i saw some little insects crawling around a piece of wire. Now the thing is when i went down there to have a look i could hardly see them with the naked eye, had to look real hard.

I do find you have to be smack on with the focus and no movement as the depth of field is very shallow at full magnification .

I'll see what its like in the field on the week end .
OK had a trip out today at Gold cliff Newport, the weather was quite windy and raining most of the time which meant the light wasn't the best.
Nailing my subject was a little harder as i was starting off at 40x instead of 25x however view was bright and contrast was great.
zooming in to 96x i found in the dull lighting conditions and shallow depth of field view was not that great and the slightest movement of scope showed significant vibration on subject, which is to be expected.

Now I'm no expert that's for sure just giving my honest observations, this is my first and only scope Ive ever owned and i love it.
Do i think the 1.6 extender worth it.......yes i do, I'm just being picky and need to test the extender in more favorable conditions.

Like i said lighting was very poor however when i did focus just right i could see droplets of water on the feathers and details i wouldn't normally see for the distance.
Old Wednesday 10th February 2016, 17:08   #44
AllanM

I've had the chance to use mine in both dull and bright conditions and still very pleased with it, but I am realistic and do accept that when fully cranked up there are limitations, but I expected that. I'm too having to get used to starting out at 40x which does take a bit of time. I use 10x bins so really using my scope for the really long distance stuff.
Old Saturday 13th February 2016, 21:46   #45
Cosme

I really like to see a picture taked by someone of this forum with the extender and the zoom in the low and the high mags.

Sorry but i dont belive the ones out there.
Old Sunday 14th February 2016, 14:44   #46
keeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosme View Post
I really like to see a picture taked by someone of this forum with the extender and the zoom in the low and the high mags.

What exactly is it that you do not believe ?
Old Sunday 14th February 2016, 16:48   #47
AllanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosme View Post

I'm not sure what a photo on here would tell you? I wouldn't use an image posted on the forum to convince me of whether an optic is acceptable or not. You would need to go and use one for yourself to see whether you believe the ones out there.
Old Sunday 14th February 2016, 18:23   #48
Richard Scott

Before I read the posts from people who've got the extender, I assumed it would only be used when some extra oomph is needed. I now get the impression that people leave it on all the time. Have I got that right?
Old Sunday 14th February 2016, 18:45   #49
AllanM

I do, Richard. I prefer to use 10x bins for most viewing and only move to the scope for much longer distance viewing. I works for me. I wouldn't want to keep dismantling the scope in the field anyhow, for obvious reasons e.g. time to change, dirt getting in scope body, etc. I'm sure the extender is not for everyone as it does require some initial getting used to, starting out at the higher than usual magnification, but I'm certainly pleased with mine.
Old Sunday 14th February 2016, 21:09   #50
Cosme

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
I'm not sure what a photo on here would tell you? I wouldn't use an image posted on the forum to convince me of whether an optic is acceptable or not. You would need to go and use one for yourself to see whether you believe the ones out there.
I want to see the brightness mainly, because its so hard to belive the ones on the link using 2 extenders are equally good in 40 and 153x, claim it not processed.

So again, if someone can his own ...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: