• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski DF 8x30W O GA STP (1 Viewer)

Jan,
I think the new Canons have a 2 year warranty. I don't know if all Canons now have 2 years.
If you take one in for warranty issues you get an extra 6 months.
However, for some old models they have no spare parts available.

B,

We had all models. To be clear: the optics are superb!!
Than a customer came back with a stabilisation failure and warranty was rejected because of 1 week overdue. No discussion possible.
We compensated the customer and waved Canon goodby.
I don't know (and care) about the new Canons.

Jan

B,

We had all models. To be clear: the optics are superb!!
Than a customer came back with a stabilisation failure and warranty was rejected because of 1 week overdue. No discussion possible.
We compensated the customer and waved Canon goodby.
I don't know (and care) about the new Canons.

Jan

Outstanding customer service Jan! :t:

I had awful trouble with a Canon professional copier years ago. Canon was impossible to deal with.

I bought their top end 110 camera broken, and well out of warranty, for £1. They fixed it for nothing, and I used it a lot.

However, I have used their binoculars for over 15 years. Personally, if a Canon binocular broke, I would just buy another one. I know the drill.
It is not only Canon. Many compact digital cameras fail at 13 months, I think deliberately. I understand some other devices are designed to fail.
The classic is the light bulb, where in the 1920s there was a conspiracy to cut their lifetime with major firms involved.

These days, with the internet, cashbacks, extended free warranties, club cards, six months free, and so on I find many firms impossible. I try to avoid all of these deals. Any firm that really upsets me, I have nothing to do with.

One learns which to use and which to avoid, depending on experiences.

karmantra,

Oddly enough, the binocular arrived about the same time you posted. At this point I'll only say two things. First, at delivery there were no customs fees or duties to pay. Is it possible a bill from US Customs comes later? Second, the Field Optics Research winged eye shields (small size) fit perfectly. I'll write up a review in about a week.

Thanks again, Jan. I can't say enough good things about how well you handled this unorthodox purchase.

Henry

I had awful trouble with a Canon professional copier years ago. Canon was impossible to deal with.
I bought their top end 110 camera broken, and well out of warranty, for £1. They fixed it for nothing, and I used it a lot.

One learns which to use and which to avoid, depending on experiences.

Canon is a high tech manufacturer, rather than service oriented. They don't really do repair, it is not their thing except by accident.
While several of my Canon cameras have been retired over the years due to obsolescence, they still work. Likewise, my 10x42ISL has served flawlessly since 2008 and when it dies, I'll buy a new one.
So buy their stuff expecting a finite life and you'll be happy.

... and the "finite life" refers to the equipment or the buyer?

(The correct answer, I guess, is "yes.") o:D

... and the "finite life" refers to the equipment or the buyer?

(The correct answer, I guess, is "yes.") o:D

Jan has already clarified that. Finite is the warranty period, anything over that is bonus.
Fortunately for us buyers there is as yet no built in self destruct timer in most of these products, so they generally outlive their warranty by a considerable period. :king:

Jan has already clarified that. Finite is the warranty period, anything over that is bonus.
Fortunately for us buyers there is as yet no built in self destruct timer in most of these products, so they generally outlive their warranty by a considerable period. :king:

If one could hold his breath for 7 days, I would call THAT a considerable period;)

Jan

karmantra,

Oddly enough, the binocular arrived about the same time you posted. At this point I'll only say two things. First, at delivery there were no customs fees or duties to pay. Is it possible a bill from US Customs comes later? Second, the Field Optics Research winged eye shields (small size) fit perfectly. I'll write up a review in about a week.

Thanks again, Jan. I can't say enough good things about how well you handled this unorthodox purchase.

Henry

Henry,

You're tax free! No US customs duty for binoculars (at least for certain if under $2500 value). Also glad to learn there was no Dutch tariff on the transaction.
Eager to see your report.

Best,
Jerry

Thanks Jerry. That's good to know. Back in the Cold War days of 1987 I ordered a CZJ 8x50 Octarem from a UK dealer. When it arrived I was unpleasantly surprised to find that a 40% duty had to be paid because it was made in East Germany.

The review is progressing slowly. One area I can say something about now that I don't think I've seen mentioned before is the distortion profile. I was expecting fairly high pincushion distortion combined with low angular magnification distortion. I haven't photographed it yet, but what I see is low pincushion with perhaps a touch of mustache distortion toward the edge and higher than expected AMD.

Henry

Last edited:
I also want to thank Jan for making the impossible possible. He went far beyond what I ever expect a dealer to do.

I should have the binocular in a week or so. I'll try to post a review within a week after it arrives.

Henry

I have to agree with Henry on the outstanding service I received from Jan on a most recent binocular purchase. Like Henry said Jan went far and beyond to assure I got the item I was looking for. Steller service!

I have to agree with Henry on the outstanding service I received from Jan on a most recent binocular purchase. Like Henry said Jan went far and beyond to assure I got the item I was looking for. Steller service!

Thanks John, but........

I'm more curious how your SLC 8x56 is treating you. This model is quite unknown in the US;)

Jan

Thanks John, but........

I'm more curious how your SLC 8x56 is treating you. This model is quite unknown in the US;)

Jan

Jan: Haven't had a chance to use it in the field yet due to holiday weekend travels. Hope to get the 8x56 out later in the week. Had a chance to look it over and inspect it and everything looked great, will report later.

Just a notice to the small number of people who might be interested in my upcoming review of the Swarovski 8x30 Habicht. The project has grown to such an outlandish size that I really need an editor. I'm putting the thing aside for the next week while on vacation in the NC mountains. I should be able to post it, probably in several parts, the following week. Even whittled down, I think I can promise the most tiresome reading ever!

Henry

Just a notice to the small number of people who might be interested in my upcoming review of the Swarovski 8x30 Habicht. The project has grown to such an outlandish size that I really need an editor. I'm putting the thing aside for the next week while on vacation in the NC mountains. I should be able to post it, probably in several parts, the following week. Even whittled down, I think I can promise the most tiresome reading ever!

Henry

Henry,

While I had my standard Habicht leatherette 8x30 W, I replaced the eyecups with the GA's found on the 10x40W GA...worked perfectly giving me a lot more comfort, better eye socket fit and a near perfect, non-glasses eye relief! Your full Habicht GA 8x30's must be really special!

Have a fun filled and safe vacation in the mountains. My bride and I will be in the Alps next week, so your postings are perfect timing for me. Looking forward to your detailed and informative review! :t:

Take Care,

Ted

Henry

Henry: I doubt that your report will be tiresome! Always appreciate the time you put forth on your bino evaluations. Enjoy the time away!

8x30 habicht ga review

Henry

Henry: Any timeline on your report? Looking forward to 'tiresome' reading!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back