• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white- billed diver (1 Viewer)

dave123

white- billed diver brixham

in torquay tomorrow does anyone know if the white-billed diver is still showing well, and the best place to park to see the bird. like to get some photos of it?

Last edited:
in torquay tomorrow does anyone know if the white-billed diver is still showing well, and the best place to park to see the bird. like to get some photos of it?

I went yesterday and missed it! So I may not be the best expert, but:
It was seen earlyish on the south side of the inner harbour I think and then (after we'd been right round, including to the end of the breakwater) we were drinking coffee at the café just outside the inner end of the breakwater, and someone upstairs said they'd seen it outside the breakwater by the cliffs (that's a lot of diving/swimming to get there from where it had been seen earlier). There are LOTS of Great Northern Divers, and you have to look at them all to make sure it's not it! A few Black-throated Divers too. R-N Grebe amongst the boats in the inner harbour, Black Guillemot along from the lifeboat, Slav Grebe(s) from the inner harbour to the end of the breakwater - might have been the same bird! Someone also said 2 Little Auks yesterday.....

We parked at the long-stayer at Astra Zeneca (£2 all day) and the Iceland Gull was feeding off the little yellow buoys close by.

Good luck, possibly earlier is better? It was reported early-ish this morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back