Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

So I was wondering ?

Old Sunday 13th November 2016, 19:59   #26
gtis

Hi
I don't wear a watch for work,but my everyday watch is a citizen Eco drive
Old Sunday 13th November 2016, 20:29   #27
Torview

A quality mechanical watch is one of the very few things you can buy yourself when you first start earning, and which if cared for properly with a service when needed can still be with you when you retire and beyond, you can`t say that about a smartphone, I still have my first quality watch from 1980, it cost me 3 weeks wages, its been serviced a good few times, still running and keeping good time, still love it as much as the day I bought it, only the original bracelet has failed and I can`t get links now, so it lives on an old Nato I had lying around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020295.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	605407  
Old Thursday 17th November 2016, 08:41   #28
stuartvine

Either a really cheap waterproof Timex or Casio. Muggers look at you pityingly and give you stuff.
Old Thursday 17th November 2016, 09:47   #29
Torview

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartvine View Post
Either a really cheap waterproof Timex or Casio. Muggers look at you pityingly and give you stuff.
Could use the same argument to carry a really cheap binocular, 10 8x21 for example
Old Thursday 17th November 2016, 16:19   #30
CalvinFold
BF Supporter 2020

I'm glad motorcycling, then smartphones, broke me from staring at my watch so much. Life is so much calmer with one less reason to feel rushed.

Of course, if I ever find another decent fitness watch I may yet have my resolve tested...

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 18th December 2016, 13:23   #31
David in NC

Where did THIS topic area come from??? : )

I just found this topic. I normally only view "Binoculars" (that's the actual link to Birdforum on my "favorites" toolbar so I go straight to that subforum).

I am a "sometimes" watch fan but lately have been "digital only" (for whatever that implies!) I tried the mechanical/automatic thing three different times and after the last ($2300) mistake (Sinn U1) I realized that automatics are NEVER going to work for me. Without a lengthy explanation on that, I'll say that my last two watches have been a Suunto Vector (around 10 years of use!) and a Casio Rangemaster. As awesome as the Rangemaster is, I like the LARGE numbers on the Sunnto so I still wear it some. 49 year old eyes....

I (like another poster) sometimes don't wear one because of long sleeves and cuffs, but not for motorcycle clothing-just everyday street clothes.
Old Sunday 18th December 2016, 23:10   #32
John-W

Automatics are the best.
Here is my current birding timepiece...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	brietling.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	608917  
Old Monday 19th December 2016, 02:25   #33
David in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-W View Post
Automatics are the best.
Here is my current birding timepiece...
Niiiiice!
Old Friday 23rd December 2016, 13:49   #34
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in NC View Post
...I (like another poster) sometimes don't wear one because of long sleeves and cuffs, but not for motorcycle clothing-just everyday street clothes.
One of the reasons I like field watches in general, and the very flat Hamilton Khaki quartz models in particular (which have domed crystals) is that they are intentionally flat and thin to fit flush and not interfere with most cuffs.

--AP
Old Tuesday 27th December 2016, 10:25   #35
GYRob

I wear this model Rolex Daytona, its a nice watch and I bought it as I reached a mile stone in life .
I was going to buy another Rolex for Xmas but bought a Harley Davison instead .
The Harley is more fun than the watch that's for sure :)
Rob.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rolex.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	609549  

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 29th December 2016, 05:47   #36
parambyte

I use the Casio Gulfmaster 1000 for my wildlife trips.
Tells me temperature, tide levels, altitude, has a compass and a barometer as well. Works very well for the purpose of documentation.

I only wish it had a GPS to mark my spotting locations.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GWN1000B-1B_xlarge copy.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	609734  
Old Wednesday 4th January 2017, 15:36   #37
pigmode

After being a long time original G-Shock user (deepest solo dive @205'), I've been using Timex Ironman variants for about 10 yr mainly to facilitate simple interval training for my paddling.

Out of nostalgia I contemplated getting a traditional automatic Seiko dive (surfer's) watch about a year ago. The desire for the Seiko eventually became one for a Seamaster, then of course I've always wanted a Submariner. I still have a Timex, but talk about a slippery slope.

Last edited by pigmode : Wednesday 4th January 2017 at 15:39.
Old Tuesday 17th January 2017, 13:00   #38
Anthon

I'm known for my watches and my bino's. At least that's what my wife says when she sees that the bank account is a bit lighter once more.

Anyway, once you get passed the 'Rolex' aura, you'll find they make pretty decent watches that are a joy to wear and will last a lifetime. Explorer and a Sub Date. The Explorer is by far the best and most comfortable watch I have laid hands on.
Old Wednesday 22nd February 2017, 18:41   #39
DocSarvis

I bought a stainless steel Rolex Submariner date in 1985 and wore it in the field (and everywhere else) except when my birding took me places that such an expensive timepiece made me fearful of mugging or worse. Since I often birded alone I felt this was a reasonable apprehension to have. Remember also, a ss Submariner could be bought new from a dealer for around $1200 in 1985. It's closer to $9K today new from an AD.
It's for the same reason I usually bird with an older pair of Alpha binos in the same environment. I don't feel the need to keep some junkie in the ozone for a week on my dime. And California isn't a Concealed Carry State for those of you who are wondering.
When I don't wear my Rolex, I wear a Certina DS Action Diver. It's a Swiss-made automatic Diver, ISO 6425 certified, water resistant to 200 meters and can be had new for around $500. Besides giving a Rolex a run in the looks dept. ...you don't see them on every third male wrist! Also comes in titanium. I'd love a Rolex Sea Dweller Deep Sea James Cameron but at $14K plus you need a bodyguard to wear one. MORE bombproof and less than a quarter the price of the DSSD is the Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Deepquest in titanium. Proof to 3000 meters! Something Jacques Cousteau could have only dreamed of during his lifetime. Tritium illuminated so visible in total darkness. Has to be the ultimate mechanical birding watch.
I haven't said a word about those Casio electronic time devices because they certainly are not watches and don't deserve to be considered such. I own an Apple "Watch" and wear it on my right wrist because it was a gift from someone I care for. It has its uses but it's such a pain to keep charged. Especially in the field. There is a Citizen watch which is an attempt to be a mechanical "Casio outdoor 'watch'" called the Altichron. It's VERY complicated and the face is difficult to read. The perfect gift for that OCD or dyslexic on your get-even list!
Old Thursday 23rd February 2017, 13:14   #40
Robert Wallace

Mechanical watches are less accurate than quartz and are now mainly used as "Bling", to demonstrate how wealthy the wearer is.
I don't do much birdwatching at a depth of 3000M (see above) mainly because my Citizen watch is only water resistant to 300M,so unsure why that feature contributes to the ultimate birdwatching watch.
Many naturalists especially botanists but including birdwatchers can see the advantage of a watch with GPS when compiling their field notes. But in our technological world smartphones are probably more useful.
Old Thursday 23rd February 2017, 13:22   #41
Steve

My watch tells me Im good to go down to 3900 metres or 12,800feet, I'll let you know if I ever do it
Old Thursday 23rd February 2017, 15:19   #42
DocSarvis

The latest Swarovision FieldPro is really nothing but "Birding Bling" when you think about it since it really does nothing a Zeiss FL doesn't. But it's performance figures give an indication of it's potential and its construction. Not to mention the pure beauty of its design. Fine timepieces have always represented milestones in human achievements in engineering and science....and, yes.. art. I heartily suggest you learn something about Horology before you reveal your ignorance further.
Old Thursday 23rd February 2017, 18:34   #43
Torview

I find its impossible to interest most people in the joy of mechanical timepieces, for me no plastic arm clock or smartphone can be considered a timepiece.

Also for us Wis, a watch is a lifelong purchase, we expect them to outlive us so we can pass them on to the next Wis generations, they may be endangered but they are still out there, my good friends son only 18 just bought his first "real" watch, a Seiko SKX009, and even though its a modest movement, looked after he will still be enjoying it when he`s my age.
Old Thursday 23rd February 2017, 22:09   #44
John-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
My watch tells me Im good to go down to 3900 metres or 12,800feet, I'll let you know if I ever do it
That's not the one in your original post is it?
Old Thursday 23rd February 2017, 22:11   #45
John-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wallace View Post
Mechanical watches are less accurate than quartz and are now mainly used as "Bling", to demonstrate how wealthy the wearer is.
Nonsense.They are slightly less accurate, but represent craftsmanship in engineering.
And you don't have to replace batteries.
Old Thursday 23rd February 2017, 23:15   #46
Steve

Quote:
That's not the one in your original post is it?
No John, I bought a Sea Dweller.
Old Friday 24th February 2017, 01:30   #47
John-W

Right, nice watch.must be the Deepsea model.
My Breitling bottoms out at 6600 feet, while you're only half way!
Old Monday 27th February 2017, 09:23   #48
Robert Wallace

Quote:
Nonsense.They are slightly less accurate, but represent craftsmanship in engineering.
And you don't have to replace batteries.
Mechanical watches certainly represent old fashioned craftsmanship although for the popular well known Swiss manufacturers many components are made in China and assembled in Switzerland. One of the few watchmakers that are totally in house is Roger W. Smith in the UK and I understand prices start around 25,000. All are handmade to the customer requirements, see their website.
Mechanical watches can no longer compete for accuracy as the Olympic games can confirm. Computers and GPS/Sat Nav require very accurate timekeeping way beyond mechanical capability. I understand you can purchase watches with GPS timekeeping. Batteries are not an issue with my modest Citizen watch which uses solar energy.
On a personal note my old Omega apparently requires servicing at least every six years at a cost of at least 600 (two helium valves need replacing).
It would also appear from what I have learned on this thread that many watches are over-engineered. This is in line with a popular saying that the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Old Monday 27th February 2017, 13:20   #49
katastrofa
BF Supporter 2020

I wear my mechanical watch as a piece of male jewellery.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 27th February 2017, 18:49   #50
Robert Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katastrofa View Post
I wear my mechanical watch as a piece of male jewellery.
Fair comment, many people do.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: