• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nocturnal call 17 August 2019 UK (1 Viewer)

Joe.S

Need help to id this nocturnal call, please.

01:11, 17 August 2019. NW Worcestershire UK.

Attachments

• unknown_1617_august_2019.mp3
    270.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Unknown 1617 August 2019.jpg
    Unknown 1617 August 2019.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 45
with those 'pip' calls before the trill, is it not more likely to be a little grebe?

You have a point there - though Whimbrel will do some "pips", I'm now in doubt and you may well be correct but sticking with Whimbrel. I've known both calls for decades and they can be so similar in tone and structure. I'm referring to Whimbrel's flight calls - not the richer sound they make on breeding grounds.

Just seen Roland's post ;)

I thought it sounded odd for Whimbrel, but didn't realise Little Grebe could be so similar.
Virtually every time I hear Whimbrel on migration it's just the tittering call without the build-up, so on reflection I agree, Little Grebe is most likely.
Well done Mark & Roland B :)

Last edited:
This sends me back to my first exciting birding; watching Little Grebes at close range nesting in central Manchester - looks like I need to start again :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back