• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Italian Blue Butterfly Could This Be? (1 Viewer)

Adey Baker

Can anyone ID the attached Blue Butterfly species, please?

I had seen a few Chequered Blue females not too far away and thought that this might be a male of that species - however, it seems beyond the variations in the Tolman/Lewington book and also the photos on the www.leps.it website.

Might it be a Baton Blue?

it was quite small though I wasn't struck at the time that it was much smaller than the Chequered Blues.

Habitat was one of those flowery corners on the inside of a hairpin bend on a minor road through an olive grove.

Location was Monte Brione, Riva del garda, Italy - i.e. at the top of Lake Garda, in the foothills of The Dolomites.

TIA

Adey

Attachments

• batblue.jpg
    batblue.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 196
Thanks Ken - I'd forgotten to check his site even though I've got it bookmarked! The top photo of his Baton blue page looks good.

There's also a good shot on Matt Rowlings site at http://www.eurobutterflies.com/index.htm so I think I'll be OK putting it in the gallery as Baton Blue.

I don't like to label something without being as certain as I can be, but sometimes it's better to just put it in and hope for the best!

I've recently put a shot in my gallery labelled 'Ilex Hairstreak' at: http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/28861/sort/1/cat/500/page/1 which could possibly be a Sloe Hairstreak.

I'm about to do the opposite- by putting on a photo of a 'Sloe hairstreak' which could be Ilex!

I'll ask for comments on ID in the gallery to see if anyone can sort them out for certain!

Incidentally, we've temporarily lost our Broadband connection so these shots are having to be uploaded via a dial-up - I'd forgotten how slow it is, especially for sending/viewing photos.

Adey

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back