• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (2 Viewers)

We took delivery of one yesterday and I took a few shots with it today, just on auto. I've not had time to play around with it yet.

Certainly well specified and easy to use. Even managed a few flight shots with it of gulls and Marsh Harrier.

Looking good Ian. I'm trying to "justify" getting one myself this weekend.
Neil.

Are you shooting in raw Ian - if so whats the buffer speed like ?

Funnily enough I just tried using RAW last night just to see how fast it writes to the card. It writes remarkably fast to the card with single photos. All being well I'll give it a proper try today with RAW in continuous shooting to see how it performs.

Funnily enough I just tried using RAW last night just to see how fast it writes to the card. It writes remarkably fast to the card with single photos. All being well I'll give it a proper try today with RAW in continuous shooting to see how it performs.
I thought when offering RAW on the SX50 that they must have increased the buffer size/speed compared to the SX40. With the SX40 shooting in RAW it took more than a second to clear a single shot which made shooting in a burst not on.

The buffer must be much better. A miserable wet snowy day here so I didn't bother going out this morning. I've just taken a continuous series of 26 RAW photos which it wrote to the card straight away without a pause in shooting. I dare say it would have continued taking photos, it was just me that stopped at 26. I would describe it as more of a 'continous' shooting rather than what I'd call a 'burst' of shots, certainly less than a second between each shot.

The buffer must be much better. A miserable wet snowy day here so I didn't bother going out this morning. I've just taken a continuous series of 26 RAW photos which it wrote to the card straight away without a pause in shooting. I dare say it would have continued taking photos, it was just me that stopped at 26. I would describe it as more of a 'continous' shooting rather than what I'd call a 'burst' of shots, certainly less than a second between each shot.

Excellent news and views,I am convinced,roll on Christmas.

I agree with Roy, as in most photography equipment the closer the subject the better this little camera performs. The autofocus is quite fast though a problem I've been having for birds in flight, even large birds like Cormorants is trying to locate them in the viewfinder/LCD as at 1200mm the field of view width is quite narrow. Plus of course a DSLR view finder is through the lens whereas the view is slightly offset with the SX50, so it's not as natural to lift the camera and locate the bird. I've found it's easier if I keep both eyes open when locating the bird in flight. At present though I can't see it ever replacing the DSLR for birds in flight.

I wouldn't rule out the SX50 entirely though for more distant subjects as the 50x zoom fills the frame better than using my 7D + 400mm lens. I came across a distant group of Whooper Swans today. I managed better photos with the SX50 than I did with the 7D+400mm lens even when using a 2x teleconverter - though both sets of photos were taken hand held in windy conditions. The SX50 of course has a very effective image stabiliser.

1. Whooper Swans with Canon SX50 - 120m+
2. Whooper Swans with Canon 7D + Canon 400mm f5,6 - 120m+
3. Red-breasted Mergansers - 150m+
4. Common Scoter - 150m+
5. Goldfinch - 2m ;)

Great shots Ian,thanks for putting the distances in again.

Here is a few from last weekend - all taken at 900mm (1440mm on the 7D). all these are cropped to some extent and all taken from at least 120 feet.
Mind you its a heck of a lot more to lug around than the SX50 lol. For clarity these were not taken with a SX40/50 but via a astroscope in answer to a query in post #36.

It would be great to see some comparison shots between your new setup and the SX40/50 Roy !!!

Thanks Ian - thats what I missed on the SX40 being able to shoot in continous mode in RAW

Last edited:
Don't think the ISO is really going to hold it up there especially if the light is getting poor, it is a very small sensor after all.
£499! Sheesh, though no doubt it will drop.

I saw this camera advertised for £309.99 from digital rev. I have no experience in ordering from this company and have seen mixed reviews but most people seem happy and get their stuff pretty quickly(shipping to the UK within 3-5 days) even though the company is based in Hong Kong.

Superb shots. I'm watching the SX50 with some interest as I use the SX30 for my bird shots and have been very happy with it. But am now looking to move up a little and not sure between SX40 or SX50. Any ideas anyone between the two for birding?

I have the SX30 and SX40. I can't speak to the SX50 but casually watching talk about it at the moment.

I upgraded from the 30 to the 40 and it was well worth it.

For birding the 30 had dismal high speed burst shooting, like once a second. Not really burst at all. The 40 does about 8 per second which to me is enough. I don't need to delete more "nearly the same" shots than that.

The improved image quality and improved low light capability of the 40 vs the 30 is also noticeable and significant.

Add the three together and moving up from the 30 to the 40 was worth it.

A few Short-eared Owl photos from today.

The video was taken with the 2x teleconverter engaged. The camera was perched on a fence post and hand held in place.

Video - Short-eared Owl - http://youtu.be/Tn8UmBMu1Hk

Attachments

• IMG_1544a.jpg
    IMG_1544a.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 733
  • IMG_1547a.jpg
    IMG_1547a.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 867
  • IMG_1566a.jpg
    IMG_1566a.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_1617a.jpg
    IMG_1617a.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_1644aa.jpg
    IMG_1644aa.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 452
A couple more taken on a brighter day earlier in the week.

1. Turnstone
2. Purple Sandpiper
3. Purple Sandpiper
4. House Sparrow
5. Common Darter

Good results Ian. I don't think anyone should have any doubts now. And you get Raw too.
Neil.

I got mine SX50 on wednesday. But I haven´t manage to take good outdoor fotos yet. When I go work is dark. And when i´m out of work it´s dark again. Maybe weekend... I bet it´s raining:C

But there is so much to learn to this camera - The time flies when I try get to know this "litlle" thing.

A few photos from today.

The first two were 18-20m away. It still amazes me the results this little camera can produce.

Attachments

• 006a.jpg
    006a.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 848
  • 010a.jpg
    010a.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 749
  • 040a.jpg
    040a.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 056a.jpg
    056a.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 737
  • 105a.jpg
    105a.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 525
A few photos from today.

The first two were 18-20m away. It still amazes me the results this little camera can produce.

Great shots again Ian,agreed the Brambling pic is a cracker.
Was the brambling a lot nearer?
Have you attempted any more flight shots yet?
I see the SX50 is £399 in Jessops at the moment with cash back.
Hope they are still in stock by the time I get back to the UK

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back