• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D60 goes to sleep (1 Viewer)

paula

How do other D60 owners keep their camera awake?
I find, while waiting for the right bird to be in the right place, that the camera has gone in standby mode and it takes an age to wake it up again. Bird flown by then.
Should I change the settings to keep it awake longer? and if so.....how long.
|Does that use a lot more battery power? (I have a grip with 2 batteries)
Second question: Do members convert into Linear files, if so, what do they do to get them into something recognisable? Actions?
I have been converting the CWR files into Combined Tiffs and then use PS to make something of them! Chuck most into bin as not in focus.
Please help.

Mines only a lowly D30, but i leave it on nearly all the while when im out with it. The two batteries have always lasted a day, and i prefer to run them right down before i recharge them anyway. I've given up with the auto power off because as you say it's a pain.

On your second question, I'm one of the lazy ones who only shoots jpegs so can't help. Have you looked at Fred Miranda's web site? - that might help?

Paula,I have mine set to power off after 4 minutes, I generally give the shutter a half press every couple of mins to keep it awake. These setting seem to suit me.

I've only just started shooting in RAW mode and could do with some tips myself!

Cheers Andrew, I'll be looking at the site you mentioned.

Thanks a lot folks, I will change the settings of the standby mode to keep the camera alert while I am!
I have a heavy cold at the moment, so am computering 24/7.....a bonus! Am looking into raw linear stuff and what the best way is to get the best quality of picture. About Actions...(I have Pekka's Linear D60 sharpner, but do not get on well with that...I do not understand how one set of actions is correct for most pictures as they are all individual......different light etc.......and you would have thought they need individual treatment?
I am learning though, that if I manage to focus properly in the first place (I find that difficult) the resulting picture does not need much doing in PS
I can see that learning about all this stuff is going to take a lifetime of dedication, not to mention shooting the right picture for a start!

Hi Paula,

I agree with Dylan jast touch the shutter button now again to keep it active otherwise i leave mine on 2 mins.

To convert RAW files into linear I use Breezebrowser which is very good but not free.

The alternative which I found about 3 weeks ago is a programme called "Powershovel11" which is excellent and its free you can download from here
"http://lens.liteserv.com/download/powershovel2.php"

To get the best out of your converted files I use Fred Mirandas
Digital Velvia Pro and D60 CS Pro Ver 4.
Both actions are for Photoshop and are easy to use. Down load from here "http://www.fredmiranda.com/actions".

To get them you will have to join Paypal and wait 24hrs for Fred to email them to you, but its worth it.

Terry.

Thank you Terry, I do appriciate your hints and tips.
I shall get these actions
I use BB to convert the files into tiffs but was not sure if I would be best with Linear, Combined or Normal!
Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back