• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any good data recording apps? (1 Viewer)

rob.72

I use the Birdjournal app on iPhone at the moment and was wondering if there were any alternative apps for recording data in the field?

Thank you.

what experiences have you had so far of the Bird Journal app and especially what makes you wonder about alternatives? Was thinking of trying it out myself.
Tony

Basically you've got 3 folders in the app:
1, summary
2, entries
3, species

Summary: this tells you the number of species you've seen, this week, this month, this year, last year and life. It also shows you your record amount for a day and a year.

Entries: this is where you have put all your entries and it's in date order with the place name displayed. Click on one of these and you can see all the birds you saw that day along with any note you may have taken.

Species: here you a the list of every bird you have ever recorded In the app, click on one and it will tell you the date of your first record and your last record together with the number of times you have recorded it.

That's it in a nutshell and later I will explain what functions I'd like to see In the app.

I'd suggest you get in touch with the people at bird journal. I recently downloaded the app and sent an email of what I'd like to see changed. They got back in touch and said that it'd be fed back at the next general meeting.

What i'd like to see are:

An option to create a list without a date so it would be possible to create an instant life list.

The option to independently select
the time and position stamp, rather than select both at the same time.

Being able to add a count with a numerical keyboard (with options for c, + and pair, male, female, juv etc) rather than the scrolling format that is currently used. As I think it would be quicker and also mean that you could add higher numbers.

I've emailed them a couple of time with suggestions.

Basically after a while you've stored a lot of raw data but it doesn't really allow you to view that data how you would like...
for example you can't view a list of species you've seen at any particular location or county but the data is all there!
It would be nice to view the first and last records for all migrants for each year.
What about a customisable list instead of having the whole British/county list.
A (+) button next to the species name to add I digit to the count just by tapping it.
The ability to add new species to the list (sure they will appear on updates but what if the guys pack it in!)
I spoke to the programmers at birdfair and they admitted they weren't birders... It shows!
They'r on the way to a great app but they aren't there yet... Some competition in the Market would really get things in motion but I don't know if it's such an attractive proposition being quite a small target Market.

Good that you've emailed them! The more people that give them feedback the better, I really think this app is maybe just a few updates away from being really good. I'd also like to be able to do more with the data but I've a feeling this will always be limited to tempt people into buying the pc software (which I'm guessing is much more versatile). :)

I'm looking for a decent recording app as well . I looked at the bird journal one but after using their pc version for over a year i realised the way they record the info is all wrong and it's too confined when your wanting a specific bit of information.
I have been using birders diary but the GUI and method of saving sightings is a complete mess.

I just want one that I can record seperate lists of information
So 1 would be for a holiday trip and all the details In there is recorded in the main database as well but I can always just bring up the list and see the birds I saw on that trip
And at same time I could have my year list running for my local birding that I can open up and add new sightings too.
Seems simple to me but I cant find anything like that

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back