• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WOW.......Jack Snipe at bottom of our garden!!! (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
We have a small stream at the bottom of the garden.........it used to be maybe 2 foot deep but now just inches.
Taking a stroll we paused to look at a Wren in the brambles and unbelievably........looking down...we were looking directly at a Jack Snipe-maybe 5 feet away.
It just stayed (frozen) for maybe 30 seconds before flying just 15/20 yards "down stream".
I knew it was a Snipe but from checking later on it was definitely a Jack Snipe.
Aged 69 I have never seen one and now seen one so close.........amazing!!

What a lovely Christmas present for you David!!! Such tricky birds to see.

Now you've seen one, no doubt you'll see loads over the next year LOL

It is always wonderful to read about such an observation which gives not only a thrill, but renders a memory which will stay settled in your mind, as a precious part of all birdwatching/birding activity!
Thank you for sharing such a moment. It makes me think of an observation of another skulky bird, a Wryneck, which I saw - ages ago now - rather clumsily positioned (that was the impression, at least) in a bush near a canal in the countryside, where it most probably had landed during migration.
Best regards,
Jan van der Brugge, Netherlands

We have a small stream at the bottom of the garden.........it used to be maybe 2 foot deep but now just inches.
Taking a stroll we paused to look at a Wren in the brambles and unbelievably........looking down...we were looking directly at a Jack Snipe-maybe 5 feet away.
It just stayed (frozen) for maybe 30 seconds before flying just 15/20 yards "down stream".
I knew it was a Snipe but from checking later on it was definitely a Jack Snipe.
Aged 69 I have never seen one and now seen one so close.........amazing!!

Brilliant! If possible, it might be a good spot for a trailcam?

What a lovely thing to see in one's own garden; I've not seen one at all, though a work colleague recently found a deceased one near the Liver Buildings, which unfortunately doesn't count.

Thank you Ken, we'll let you know............
Anyway, don't give up Mark, we've just moved house and I was looking at my Garden List at the previous place, the highlight in ten years there has to be this species, my own experience last year shows that it can turn up anywhere. Our house was at 1,100m (over 3000ft) altitude and a rainy March afternoon turned up the attached surprise hunkered down in the boggy field, it was clearly convinced that it was invisible to me so stayed immobile while I took a few pictures before retreating to the dry :t:

Attachments

• B.sourde face à face.jpg
    B.sourde face à face.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 97
What a lovely thing to see in one's own garden; I've not seen one at all, though a work colleague recently found a deceased one near the Liver Buildings, which unfortunately doesn't count.

Although I moved to Warrington many years ago I was born in Wallasey and lived there till I was 21 years old..........Seacombe, Moreton then Egrememont. When I left school, aged 15, my first job was in the Royal Liver Building.
Just some useless information for you :)

Thank you Ken, we'll let you know............
Anyway, don't give up Mark, we've just moved house and I was looking at my Garden List at the previous place, the highlight in ten years there has to be this species, my own experience last year shows that it can turn up anywhere. Our house was at 1,100m (over 3000ft) altitude and a rainy March afternoon turned up the attached surprise hunkered down in the boggy field, it was clearly convinced that it was invisible to me so stayed immobile while I took a few pictures before retreating to the dry :t:

Nice photo Richard, this is one of those species that just occurs elusively given the right place and the right time...which makes birding interesting

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back