• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are We All Boring ? (1 Viewer)

While some birders are boring, birds certainly are not.

Try telling people how Swallows fly to South Africa for the winter and return to the same barn the following spring, or how a Hummingbird weighing as much as a penny migrates 500 miles across the Gulf of Mexico, and how if the wind changes direction they perish in the sea.
How Swifts spend their lives in the air.
Tell them how a female Bar-tailed Godwit flew 11,000 kms. flying for 9 days and nights non-stop.

Then most people will understand why you like birds. If they don’t, they have no souls.

Twite.

Brilliantly put, Twite. :t:

F1, now that is boring, why do they risk life and limb to drive quickly to where they already are???

Mick

Hi Mick

Great to see you. Hope all is well with yourself.

Yes, speed, and cars a bit of a mystery to me too. Might be a girl thing!

Will never understand F1 myself :gh:

'Are we all boring...?'

My knee-jerk reaction to this when I first saw the thread was "No, of course we're not", but being as we've managed to drag it out into its fourth page... maybe we are! ;)

Mine was the opposite, a simple yes and as you say the length of this thread speaks volumesB :)B :)

Try telling people how Swallows fly to South Africa for the winter and return to the same barn the following spring, or how a Hummingbird weighing as much as a penny migrates 500 miles across the Gulf of Mexico, and how if the wind changes direction they perish in the sea.
How Swifts spend their lives in the air.
Tell them how a female Bar-tailed Godwit flew 11,000 kms. flying for 9 days and nights non-stop.

Then most people will understand why you like birds. If they don’t, they have no souls.

Twite.

I like your response. Who could not be astounded by such feats? Only the soulless.

He'd say "I do know what I'm missing, it's the bloomin' F1!" ;)

Tough! ;) That programme is repeated later in the day but the birds don't stay still in one spot for long ;)
He would miss it anyway TBH because he'd be busy doing a paper-round when it started AND he gets Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday's off whereas I only get Thursday as my day off so if he starts I'll bring that up :king:

Actually, he'd better be nice or I'll make him work ALL the bank holidays too! *heartless Gill LOL*

Last edited:
I find that people are more interested than not. Today I took my camera in to a local store for it's periodic cleaning, and the man behind the counter couldn't wait to tell me about the Pileated Woodpecker he had seen on his last trip to Arkansas. Most people upon finding out my interest in birds want to tell me about an experience they've had or question me about birds they've seen in their garden.

I'm leaving Tuesday on a trip to a Nature Conservancy site in south Texas with a group of business men. Not all are birders, but all are interested in nature and what nature means to all of us.

I've gotten several of my grandchildren interested in birding and the natural world and they're not embarrassed to hang out with me at our ranch.

When i started this thread i didnt expect it would go on for this long, but i must say it has been very interesting to get other peoples thoughts on whether or not us bird watchers in general are boring.

I have since developed a feck them attitude to anyone that thinks im boring.

I have also changed my name slightly to make myself sound a bit more interesting and cool. What are your thoughts on my name change, and has anyone else give themself an abbreviated name or nickname to make them sound a bit trendier and cool.

Drew (formerly known as Andrew)

There is no such thing as a cool name (apart from Fat Paul Scholes, obviously!). I think the coolest thing to do would just be to forget about your image and just go out and enjoy the birds. They don't judge you, after all.

Your feck them attitude to those who think you're boring is a step in the right direction, but try not to resent these people....just ignore them. They're not bad folks really, they've just got the wrong idea.

I was in a shop the other day buying something for my upcoming trip and I mentioned to the bloke behind the counter that I was a birder. As I said it I felt proud of the fact I am a birder, and I am.

Finchey - 'Drew's' cool, but 'Andy' is cooler.

As someone who got made redundant from Woolies in January I had limited options, think I found another job but thats been dragging on for 6 weeks now. Choices: sit at home, watch junk tv, get depressed, window shop etc, etc. Instead I dug out an old pair of bins and headed out to Brandon and loved it!! Can't afford to do much at the moment but have got out and about and seen some fantastic birds (ok ordinary to the twitchers out there), but it took my mind off life for a while. So to anybody who tells me to go get a life - I did!

And to all the 'bores' out there, how many times have you been asked by a none birder "ooh, what's that bird?"

'Are we all boring...?'

My knee-jerk reaction to this when I first saw the thread was "No, of course we're not", but being as we've managed to drag it out into its fourth page... maybe we are! ;)

Mine was the opposite, a simple yes and as you say the length of this thread speaks volumesB :)B :)

Ah! but that's where you're wrong! A simple yes/no is extremely boring! o:D

Birding is boring and shanking three pitching wedges into the lake is exciting-who knew?

When I used to play golf(can't anymore) I really looked most forward to the beer at the end of the round. Same with birding but more fun and cheaper. I think my friends are jealous.

Mike

As someone who got made redundant from Woolies in January I had limited options, think I found another job but thats been dragging on for 6 weeks now. Choices: sit at home, watch junk tv, get depressed, window shop etc, etc. Instead I dug out an old pair of bins and headed out to Brandon and loved it!! Can't afford to do much at the moment but have got out and about and seen some fantastic birds (ok ordinary to the twitchers out there), but it took my mind off life for a while. So to anybody who tells me to go get a life - I did!

And to all the 'bores' out there, how many times have you been asked by a none birder "ooh, what's that bird?"
That's one of the great things about birdwatching: once you've paid for your equipment it's virtually a cost-free activity (assuming you can walk/cycle to your nearest patch or reserve).

Lads, to overly simplify it, for me a person is either interested in nature and biodiversity or isn't. Once you become interested, then any animal or plant has its interest.

For my part, I was always more into the trees. But successive nature trips to Poland got me into birds more. No tree can match the wonder of witnessing a woodpecker pecking.

Now, if a guy tells me he's into moths, I'm not going to find him boring. It's just his thing and at least he gives a crap about the planet we inhabit and seem to be trying our best to destroy. Maybe if more people were into 'boring' activities like birding, there would be more for our grandchildren to enjoy in the future ...

Lads, to overly simplify it, for me a person is either interested in nature and biodiversity or isn't. Once you become interested, then any animal or plant has its interest.

For my part, I was always more into the trees. But successive nature trips to Poland got me into birds more. No tree can match the wonder of witnessing a woodpecker pecking.

Now, if a guy tells me he's into moths, I'm not going to find him boring. It's just his thing and at least he gives a crap about the planet we inhabit and seem to be trying our best to destroy. Maybe if more people were into 'boring' activities like birding, there would be more for our grandchildren to enjoy in the future ...

Too true. I'm interested in most nature 'stuff' and I guess it's that birds are the most active and common nature around that makes them good to watch. Trees are wonderful, but they don't really move around much and with birds there's the unknown aspect as they do come and go - you never know what you'll see.

There's something very special about mammals though, in the UK you (well, I) don't really see them that often, other than rabbits really, so when you do it seems really amazing. Watching the field mouse in my garden or crossing the path of a fox early in the morning gives me a real frisson, a great thrill that I don't often get when watching birds. These are creatures that are harder to find and that intensifies the pleasure a lot for me.

Good luck with the job manicann, hope it comes through for you! Am facing imminent redundancy too, second time in a year and a half, and going out birdwatching is something that I'm hoping will help me get through it better than I did last time! It's a really good hobby for those times as if you've got binoculars it is very cheap - maybe some petrol or bus tickets, entry to a nature reserve perhaps if you go to one.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back