• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Easy/reliable Snow Finch sites (1 Viewer)

aythya_hybrid

real name Jonathan Dean
Dear all.
I'm thinking of doing a quick visit to somewhere in Europe at some point in 2019 purely to try to get Snow Finch (a species I am yet to see). However, I'm a bit unclear as to where I could go that would maximise my chances of success, but am assuming somewhere in Switzerland or French Alps. Can do more or less any time of year, and preferably somewhere accessible by public transport. It will just be a short smash and grab operation, not a long holiday. Any advice welcome.

best,
Jonathan

Nemrut Dagi in SE Turkey is also worth a visit, with Snow Finch around the statues at the archeological site on the mountain top. Supporting cast in late May early June is not too shabby either, with Kurdish Wheatear, Cinereous Bunting, Pale Rock Sparrow, Rose-coloured Starling, Sombre Tit and White-throated Robin.

I flew to Gazianthep and by bus and hitch hiking made it to the place in about 3.5 hours from touching down, staying at the Cesme Pension a few km below the mountain, and walking the rest of the way from there. Super birdy place and wonderful scenery.

cheers

Jens

There was a feeder at the top of the Mannlichen cable car above Wengen, Switzerland, which was attracting a small flock of snow finches in mid-March 2016. Rail-connected and very easy to get to, although quite a long journey from Geneva airport if you are coming from UK.
However...I went back in March 2017 and didn't see any snow finches - the weather was warmer then (not so good for skiing either!) so this may have been why they weren't around.
I've skied quite a lot in other parts of Switzerland and the French Alps, and only very occasionally seen snow finch - once around the restaurant at the top of the 'Swiss Wall' (Chavanette) on CH-FR border above Champery / Avoriaz, once from a chairlift high up in the Flaine area. Sliding downhill at speed isn't conducive to productive birding of course...
@albatross02 seems to have the easiest suggestion for lift-accessed snow finches in summer, which is a consideration if you are wanting to just make a quick visit.

Pic du Midi du Bigorre in the Pyrenees. Also great for alpine accentor, and I've had wallcreeper up there twice in three visits. Get up there after the lunchtime rush to experience snowfinch feeding within a couple of feet of you.

Thank you everyone for suggestions, very helpful. Am erring towards Karwndel, as it's not an area I know at all, seems a nice place, and looks like it has good chances of success.

Gornergrat station at the end of the short train line that goes up the mountain (about 20 mins?) from Zermatt. They seemed fairly tame and seemed to be feeding on mealworms - see pics. Also Ibex, alpine chough and accentors there. Zermatt is also a beautiful scenic place to visit in June with loads of nice walks with nutcrackers, crested tits, willow tits, marmots etc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54189378@N02/19345626450/in/album-72157653301292074/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54189378@N02/19507444886/in/album-72157653301292074/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54189378@N02/19507443216/in/album-72157653301292074/

Last edited:
I've had Snowfinch in Kleine Scheidegg in late May in the past, singing from the rack railways electric pylons! There were quite a few around: this is higher up the line from Wengen so maybe altitude is the key. Alpine Chough also plentiful, and Ibex, Chamois and marmots round about. The woods hold Nutcrackers and woodpeckers including Three-toed and Black. Scenery-wise, Kleine Scheidegg is at the foot of the Eiger with the Monch and Jungfrau also towering above it. Fabulous place.

John

I can also recommend the Kleine Scheidegg area.

Snowfinch also around the cable car stations at the nearby Mannlichen, and the walk from there to Kleine Scheidegg is stunning.

Just up from Kleine Scheidegg is Eigergletscher station for Alpine Accentor, and with careful scanning you may get Wallcreeper on the Eiger.

I can also recommend the Kleine Scheidegg area.

Snowfinch also around the cable car stations at the nearby Mannlichen, and the walk from there to Kleine Scheidegg is stunning.

Just up from Kleine Scheidegg is Eigergletscher station for Alpine Accentor, and with careful scanning you may get Wallcreeper on the Eiger.

Nearby and accessible either by the railway or walking (though its quite a hike) I had a pair of Wallcreepers fairly easily at the Grindelwald Gletscherschlucht (glacier snout) - the entrance to a deep gorge. I think the gorge itself may not always be accessible though it was open to visitors when I was there.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back