• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Customer service Leica Europe (1 Viewer)

Renze de Vries

Hello (forthcoming) Leica-owners,

Let me tell you about my experiences with the (once?) famous Leica after sales-service.
After reading some horrorstories here and there, I was anxious to try the Leica service out myself as soon as I got the chance. And I did. My Ultravid 8x42 BL, bought in november last year, came with a focus mechanism not altogether to my liking. As reported elsewhere on this forum, the focus wheel of the Ultravid can sometimes be a bit hairy, a bit stuttering. I think it's a consequence of Leica's design philosophy not to use lubricants on the moving parts (and well justified as such, because it makes the binoculars almost immune to large changes in temperature), but anyway, the focus wheel should of course operate sufficiently smooth in normal use to make fine-focussing easy and non-irritating. Well, mine obviously didn't, and it aggravated me enough to have the bins serviced in Leica's headquarters in Solms, Germany.
They came back two days ago and yes indeed, they nicely smoothened out the focussing. They sent me a report of the repair also, with Leica's customer service policy printed on the back. With regard to repair time it says that in normal circumstances (repair parts available a.s.o) Leica will repair things within 3 weeks. Well, my bins came in on 29/4 and were shipped back to me on 11/5.
Then there was another thing I asked them to do. Two weeks after I bought the Ultravids, I cleaned the lenses and accidentily scratched one of the objectives (grain of sand probably, didn't see it, but grrrr: circular scratches on the coating). Although I couldn't see any detrimental effect of the scratches on the view at all, I asked the Leica people to appraise the scratched lens and if they thought it necessary to replace it they should do just that. Again, they did. In fact, they replaced both the objective lenses (they're matched probably?).
Now for the costs. There's a figure on the repair report. It reads 0,00.

Renze de Vries

Renze, I had the same excellent customer service with Leica USA when I sent my 10X50 BN in because there was a tiny "spot" in one of the lenses in about the 1:00 position, only noticeable when looking at the clear blue sky. Leica fixed it and turned it around in less than 3 weeks. Sounds like they went even further with customer service for you.

Brian

Leica UK

I've just had a similar experience with Leica UK. I sent 2 pairs of binoculars in for some minor work including my 13 year old 10x42BA's. Sure enough in 3 weeks they were returned to me with the work done. What really put the smile on my face were the extra touches of customer service like replacing the clacked plastic hinge cover and replacing the scratched badging. They now look like new binoculars. And of course - No Charge. My only complaint is - why couldn't they lose them and send me a pair of Ultravids as compensation!

Rich.

In 2003 had a pair of 8x32's returned repaired on 7th day after posting.Can't ask for better than that.Haven't had to try out other companies...yet.

Just sent my 10x42 ultravids to leica uk for service to a notchy focus wheel. Hope I get a similar result.

My Duovids went in to Leica USA in late July. I received a letter in early August that said repair would take 3-4 weeks. Haven't seen them yet.

Notchy focus wheel on Ultravids; same here. Handed mine to Leica at the Birdfair last month; was told yesterday I should have them in a few days. They seem to have quite a high workload. Perhaps it's all those notchy Ultravids...

Sean

does anyone think leica will start using lubrication on there focusing wheels.surely someone at leica has come to the conclusion that most leica users dont like notchy fousing!.i actually prefer it,as long as you get a good speciman as i have noticed some are better than others.using brass and aluminium moving parts in place of lubricated steel,etc is i think quite practical.especialy in cold climates.matt

sticks and stones may break my bones but i've got
a gun in the shed if you want to argue...[shed facts]

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back